GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Just a few more questions for research
Question
Jun 26 2017
08:59:09 PM
Hey there all!
I'm still researching about gliders and getting all those pesky supplies into my cart, which there's a few I've been questioning. I've gotten good answers from here before, so I'm back again. I know that I want a cage liner of some sort, but are fleece ones good? There's a seller on Etsy who has some, and the description says,

quote:
Cage liners are an efficient and eco-friendly alternative to disposable bedding. Made from high quality, double layered fleece, liners are designed to serve as the floor of your pet's cage, or to be placed inside the cage drop pan. Fleece is highly absorbent and will wick away moisture to decrease odor. Simply shake the liner free of debris and wash as desired for a long-lasting bedding alternative.

Would this be a good idea?

I'm planning on getting two gliders and a cage that's 36"H x 30"W x 18"D, with a bar spacing of 1/2". Is this a good amount of space for them, or should I go bigger/smaller?

I also have already picked out some things for their cage, like a cage set. Should I get multiple cage sets though, so that I can swap them and wash the other one or something?
This is the cage set I have picked out, it is also from Etsy.

quote:
Our 100% double layer hidden seams fleece Sugar Glider cage sets includes:

1 rectangular pouch with boxed corners (7 x 8 inches)
1 Round cup pouch (7 x 7 inches)
2 Triangular landing ledges (13 x 9 x 9 inches)
1 Square hammock (7x7 inches)
1 Square (parachute style) hammock (10 x 10 inches)
1 Bounce N play bridge (7 x 20 inches)
1 Peek A Boo Tunnel (9 x 4 inches)
1 Tri color boa vine (6 x 23 inches)
6 Fleece Blankets (3 x 6 inches) - colors may vary
20 Rainbow cage hooks (multi colors)

Is this too many things for my cage? I also have 6 toys picked out for them (I'm not putting them all in at once though!).

And my final question, (Sorry for so many lol) what do you guys suggest for cleaning? I know that I'm going to be doing a lot of it. I was thinking about using Green Stump. It's a natural cleaner that's being sold by my breeder.

quote:
Clean your cages the green way with GreenStump all natural cleaner!

From the manufacturer:

"A new concept in cleaning, this product is non-toxic for you, your pet, and our earth. Naturally occurring surfactants clean with a subtle foaming action that leaves no residue once completely dry.

GreenStump is preservative free and 100% cruelty free. This rapidly biodegradable cleaner slows bacteria from attaching, growing, and lingering on surfaces.

The essential ingredients cut grease and control oders leaving a fresh, mild fragrance."

I lied about that being my last question (oops). During the day, should I cover the cage with a shower curtain or a blanket?

Okay, so that's all my questions now xD. Thanks for taking the time to read this and/or answer any of them. I really want to be prepared for when I get my babies!

Edited by - RedGliderLover on Jun 26 2017 09:02:05 PM
Question
Jun 27 2017
01:23:43 AM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
Congratulations on your soon to be new arrivals!

Sounds like you're doing a great job learning all you can about gliders and what they will need.

I've never used fleece cage liners but I've heard from others that they work really well. I use newspaper and there's a grate covering the bottom tray so there's no access to it.

For a cage, 1/2 inch bar spacing is good (no wider). I wouldn't go smaller than the cage you suggested. A good rule of thumb is to get the largest size cage that you can afford and have room for. Sugar gliders love to glide (of course) and enjoy having lots of room. The cage set you picked out sounds amazing, with a lot of variety. I like to have extra pouches so they'll always have enough when I need to wash some. Once you have your cage set up you'll probably be able to tell if it's too much or too crowded. Swapping out pouches and toys is always a good idea to keep things interesting for them.

I've haven't heard of Green Stump but it sounds like a great cleaner (non toxic, safe for pets, effective, etc.). I've been using a product called 'Od R Gone' that helps eliminate odors. Some people use a mixture of hot water and vinegar to clean their cages.

I don't cover my gliders cage but I suppose it couldn't hurt, especially since they sleep during the day and it would give them additional privacy. A clear shower curtain is useful for containing messes and your gliders can still see out.

Enjoy your babies!
Question
Jun 27 2017
02:20:48 AM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
You can also learn how to make pouches and stuff. You can buy fleece and stuff from the store and make it yourself. It's much cheaper. Just make sure you look up how to make them safely because if it's not thier nails can get caught in the seams.

I always have a sheet clipped to my cage. I do this because it blocks them from the light and because it saves my walls from the mess. I don't have the front of the cage covered so I can see them and have easy access to the doors.

As Tiakristin3 said, try and get the biggest cage you can afford and fit. I like cages from exotic nutrition.
Question
Jun 27 2017
07:57:40 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
I use a different kind of cage liner, fleece holds the smell to much ( even when washed ) and isn't as easy as shaking off, everyyyyyything sticks to fleece.

Will it work yes, it's just not as easy as the liners I use. I use Jana's tray liners for all my cages http://gr8pots.webs.com/ they are custom made to order to fit any size tray. Jana is super nice and a pleasure to work with. The liners themselves are well made, do help with the smell, are super easy to clean, and will last for years. Everything DOES shake off easily and they can be machine wash and dry.

I wash mine outside with a hose, It took 4 minutes to clean 3 tray liners.
Now it takes be about 10 minutes, I squirt some dish soap on them and suds them all up then rinse well still less time than no tray liners and they look great in the cage.

Cage sets You don't have to use allll the pieces in a big cage set, you can set some pieces aside for wash day. I'd suggest washing half of what is in the cage n leaving some dirty pieces with their scent on it in the cage. If you wash everything all at once they will work harder to stink up all the clean stuff. The more fleece you have in the cage the more you may notice the smell.

Personally I only use a fleece pouch and maybe a bridge in the cage, the smell is far less than with a cage full of fleece. Big cage sets are more or the humans sake I think to make the cage look more appealing.

cage cleaner products I'm not a fan of these, especially no rinse solutions. They build up on over time and will leave a residue behind even if you can't see. They have also been known to cause allergic reactions and skin irritation for some gliders. Dawn dish soap and hot water is sufficient to clean cages, vinegar is ok if it's not to strong, steam cleaners are awesome so are are pressure washers.

Don't make the mistake of over cleaning their cage. The more you clean, the more it can make them mark it all back up and the more stinky it will actually be. Gliders have scent glands and like to use them. Avoid strong smelling laundry soaps and cage cleaning soaps. The more you try to mask it the stronger it will be.

Covering cage Covering the cage is fine, but I wouldn't use anything plastic or vinyl ( use those behind the cage on the wall not directly on the cage ) , the cage needs air circulation. You can use a breathable fabric like fleece to prevent drafts n cover the top, back, and sides but they don't need shielded from light or covered entirely like birds do.

Good luck and congrats

Edited by - Leela on Jun 27 2017 07:58:24 AM
Question
Jun 27 2017
11:11:15 PM
RedGliderLover Starting Member 9 Posts
Thanks so much you guys! I hopefully will be getting my babies in a few months, maybe longer. We're planning to move, so we might have to wait to get them, but they'll have a big, new place to explore.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders