Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
About to be a new sugar glider parent!
Question
Jun 30 2017
12:53:08 PM
Hello everyone. I am about to be a new owner of sugar gliders! My question is on suggestions for cages and toys for a small apartment for them, I have some I am looking at but want to see what owners have success with?
Question
Jun 30 2017
06:57:35 PM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
I like cages from exotic nutrition. I have the madagascar cage which is big and sturdy. May be too big if you have a small apartment. You might be better off with the Brisbane cage or something.

Toys depend on the personality of the glider. So I can't really recommend many toys. I can tell you that a wheel is a must have. Just don't get the wodent wheel.
Question
Jun 30 2017
07:36:02 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
Congratulations on your soon to be sugar gliders!

I have a Congo cage from Exotic Nutrition that I'm really happy with. It's pretty big though so you might want to go with something like the Brisbane (also from Exotic Nutrition). It has similar features, spacious enough for 2 gliders, and it comes in several different colors (unlike Congo and Madagascar which only come in black. Bar space should be no more than 1/2 inch. Many people like Critter Nation cages as well.

I've heard the minimum cage size for 2 sugar gliders is 24" x 24" x 36" high, although a good rule of thumb is to get the biggest cage you can afford that will fit well.

www.exoticnutrition.com/Products/Brisbane-Cage__GA13221A.aspx

www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21359&cmpid=08cseYY&ref=6197&subref=AA&cmpid=PLA_G_6197&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4sb9gePm1AIVhl9-Ch0OmwsAEAQYAiABEgITbPD_BwE

Like lilsistar mentioned, a good exercise wheel is very important for sugar gliders. Stealth, Raptor, and Custom Cruiser wheels are great ones.

For toys, my gliders favorite is a ball pit filled with pom poms and small toys. Many bird toys work well for gliders, as do toys that are safe for babies. Anything they can climb and swing on is also fun for them, including fleece vines. And sleeping pouches of course. It's a good idea to check toys regularly for safety and to make sure there's no damage. Even the most well made toys sometimes can't hold up to a curious glider (for example, I noticed one of my gliders hanging toys was missing both eyes ).

Wishing you all the best! You're in for a treat! Enjoy your babies!!
Question
Jun 30 2017
07:39:21 PM
kr0490 Starting Member Visit kr0490's Photo Album 4 Posts
I bought the Madagascar cage along with a lot of toys and some hammocks, thanks for the info. I'm really excited. If you have any other tips for a new owner please let me know!
Question
Jul 01 2017
03:18:22 AM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
Remember bonding takes time and patience. Don't get discouraged if they seem problematic or if they don't seem to like you. They usually come around over time.

Glider proof places are best for playing with them. I recommend a little tent, but some people like bathrooms. I sugar glider proofed my room so they can run around in it.

I like to hold mine during the day while they sleep so they see me as a safe place. I have mine sleep in my bra or in my shirt. This can be risky with new, unbonded gliders. If you are holding them outside of a zippy pouch make sure you are in a safe place Incase they escape from you.

No one is perfect so don't feel bad about making mistakes. We've all been there. Even now many of us still make mistakes. I learn something new everyday from these cuties and from this forum. Just learn from your mistakes and everything will be ok. :)

Never be afraid to ask questions or even answer questions and share your experiences. Have fun with your new suggies!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders