Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Worms in sugie cage
Worms in sugie cage
Health related
Jul 01 2017
04:34:29 PM
Has anyone went to clean out their sugie cage bedding etc. And found worms that look to be maggots or something similar to them, in your sugie cage around the area of the food and water?? This has never happened before that I've ever noticed and I'm not sure how concerned I should be about them or what to do to keep them from coming back
Health related
Jul 01 2017
05:34:54 PM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
I've never had that happen. I'm no expert but I think you should get your gliders checked by a vet. If they ate them they might get parasites or something. It's better to be safe than sorry.
Health related
Jul 01 2017
08:07:37 PM
Beenabeth Joey Visit Beenabeth's Photo Album USA 20 Posts
If only I knew of a vet anywhere near me. Honestly I don't think she has eaten any because when I feed her meal worms she is a fiend over them and goes crazy when I put them away, so I feel that if she had eaten any she would have freaked out and ate all of them. I hope that is the case anyways. She hasn't been acting any differently that I've noticed, she is still active and playful etc. So I think she is gonna be ok, thankfully.
Health related
Jul 02 2017
12:38:37 AM
I hope so too :)

Try to clean the cage and remove all of the worms. Maybe put the food and water up and hopefully it won't attract the worms?

I honestly have no idea what they are or why they are there. Best of luck!
Health related
Jul 02 2017
03:36:42 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
It's the bedding that I would remove, when they eat they throw food in it and the pee on it, it attracts flies which lay eggs there
Health related
Jul 02 2017
08:48:11 AM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
I agree with sjusovare. Fly eggs hatch into maggots very fast.
Health related
Jul 03 2017
02:14:22 AM
I didn't know fly eggs hatched into maggots. Good to know.
Health related
Jul 03 2017
05:39:31 PM
Yes I always throw the bedding away every time I clean out cage..I think its just the new location and flies have more access to the cage now
Health related
Jul 03 2017
07:24:42 PM
Maybe you could try a different type of bedding. Some people use fleece and I use old towels. Just shake it off and then throw it in the wash and it can be reused. I also find it easier so I can clean the tray out more often.
Health related
Jul 04 2017
09:11:42 AM
I have a problem with her nails getting caught in fabrics and things, that is why I don't use towels or blankets etc. And I've tried using potty pads in the bottom but she was always tearing apart the layers of them and burrowing in between them and stuff. The shredded bedding is the best I've found to use with her, it works great for absorption and lasts longer than anything else I've tried. I think the worms happened because of an incident where my fiance was BBQing on the grill and had kept the door opened for easy access in and out of the kitchen and afterwards we had an issue with an abundance of flies in our house. I've never had this happen before using this bedding and I've went much longer between cleanings before also. I honestly don't think i will have a problem with them anymore as long as we don't have any more issues with fly swarms. Thanks everyone for all your ideas and suggestions. I will keep updated on any recurrences if any.
Health related
Jul 04 2017
09:45:15 AM
Tveit_Momma Glider Visit Tveit_Momma's Photo Album 197 Posts
If the flies got into the suggie cage you should do a fecal test on them. Any exotic animal clinic should be able to do it, but some might refuse if they don't see suggies, so just look around. Flies carry many parasites
Worms in sugie cage

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Worms in sugie cage