Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Cage Size
Cage Size
Question
Jul 03 2017
09:59:08 AM
Hey sorry im new to this site i hope im posting/asking the question in the correct area! Currently i have one suggie (my little buddy) ive had him for about 7 years now (i have no clue his actual age, he must have been fully grown when im got him since he hasn't grown in size since i got him) he started off in a small rabbit cage, 17.25" deep, 15.5" tall, 28.25" Length and Width. He got a major upgrade, 36" tall, 33" wide, and 22" long. I am now moving to a much smaller place and unfortunately cannot bring his current cage. I am looking into some cages but i do not want to upset him, since the move itself will be shocking. I was wondering if the cage im looking into is too small. Its 17" Wide, 12"long and 24" tall. Would it be better to get him the new cage since it is taller or get him the same one as his first cage?

keep in mind its only one sugar glider

For clarification here are the cage sizes again.

First Cage: W: 28.25"
L: 28.25"
H: 25.5" (17.25" deep)

Current Cage W: 33"
L: 22"
H: 36"

Potential New W: 17"
L: 12"
H: 24"
Question
Jul 03 2017
11:17:36 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
I know space consideration is different from countries to countries, so it's difficult to answer.
Over here, it is considered that the minimum space for 1 glider is 20x20 with at least 36 tall.
17 and 12 seem really too small to me, especially since there is not much space in height either.
Perhaps someone more used to american measures can help?

Edited by - sjusovare on Jul 03 2017 11:18:39 AM
Question
Jul 03 2017
09:37:48 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
Most people recommend getting the largest cage possible that you can afford and will fit. His current cage sounds like a great size. The cage you're considering seems pretty small to me, even for only one sugar glider. It sounds smaller than his previous 2 cages. I have a single glider as well and started out with a very small cage for her. I just purchased a Congo cage from Exotic Nutrition. It's huge and I'm sure she'd be fine in a smaller cage. But, oh my gosh, it has been so much fun watching her explore and enjoy the extra room. I understand your space concerns, but if at all possible I would encourage you to try to make her current cage work, partly for size, and also for familiarity. One concern I had with my glider is that in her first cage she would do flips over and over again. I've heard this can be a sign of boredom and it was what prompted me to look for a larger cage where she'd have more room to run and play. If you do decide to go with a smaller cage, and exercise wheel is even more important. And keeping some of her familiar toys and pouches can help with the transition. You've had your little one for a long time and I'm sure you'll make the best decision you can to keep him healthy and happy. All the best to you!
Cage Size

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Cage Size