GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
7&9month male gliders a few questions!
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jul 03 2017
07:23:50 PM
Hello,
I got my gliders about a month ago from some random person in my town (we have a college sell. trade. etc type of page that I obtained them from), I am their third owner in their short lives.
Sylvester is a smaller more white/black mix and otto is a little larger (chubby, it's adorable), with much darker markings (honestly looks like a micro honey badger). Sylvester has always been a bit of a biter, and no matter how much I try to love him, he bites me, and now otto does as well. I'm not sure why, I'm constantly trying to give them attention, gave them a real diet (the owner before me only fed them insects and blueberries, now they have a full helping of veggies, proteins, and fruits).
I've tried giving them blueberries and banana pieces to bond but it seems to get nowhere.
when I first got them, sylvester would escape his cage and wake me up at 5 am by jumping on my chest and now he just nibbles me if he's not too busy running all over me.
I've put articles of my clothing that are very stunk in their cage, play with them daily. give them treats, etc.
Also, what is the best way to "discipline" so that they understand 'no' ?
Thank y9ou so much!
-Luna
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jul 03 2017
07:33:26 PM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
Bonding takes lots of time and patience. Try holding them during the day while they are sleeping so they get use to your voice and movement.

Bonding is based on trust not discipline. Once they bond they will probably stop biting. They will never stop nibbling. Or at least mine still nibble.

The difference between biting and nibbling is their behavior and how hard the bite is. If it draws blood or if they are crabbing and appear to be uncomfortable its usually a bite.

If it's a minor pinch and out of nowhere it's probably a nibble. They like to explore the world with their mouths. They also communicate with their mouths. I know my male will nip if he doesn't like what I'm doing. Never draws blood and doesn't hurt. More startling than anything.

If they bite or nibble make a tsst sound. They make that sound to each other when they don't like what the other is doing.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jul 03 2017
07:50:42 PM
OttoLunaSyl Starting Member 2 Posts
@lilsistar I only want to learn properly discipline so they will stop eating at my bed corners (the mattress/boxspring), I've put tape over it but they still naw and chew it.
luckily the biting doesn't draw blood anymore, which is great, but anytime my fingertips are near them, they tend to nibble or bite me, even if I'm holding my hand still as can be.
I started taking them out while they're sleeping for some "cuddling" when I get out of work, both in their sleep sack of course.
I also changed their diet to something wayyy better than what their previous owner was feeding them. I was wondering if maybe they were biting and such because they don't trust that I'll keep them (since I'm their third 'parent' and all), but I definitely am and will for as long as I can :)
thank you though!
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Jul 03 2017
10:07:29 PM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
You are doing amazing! It's hard being a new owner. It can be challenging to be an owner even after two years of owning them. I fully understand :)

I don't know any way to "properly discipline" them because from my understanding sugar gliders can't be disciplined. The only way I know to get them to stop biting is gaining their trust and the only way I know how to stop them from chewing on things is to distract them or give them something that they find more fun to chew.

Best of luck. Have fun with the little devils :)

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders