Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Traveling Concerns
Traveling Concerns
Question
Jul 07 2017
08:36:19 AM
Hi so i have a suggie who is at least 7, not sure of his actual age but i have had him fro 7 years, he's never traveled with me before but in a month i am moving to Nevada (from New York) i will be driving there (along with my dwarf rabbit) what is the best way to travel a 3/3.5 day trip with a sugar glider? In the hotels/motels i will set up his cage, however how do i go about traveling in car with him?

!!!ALSO!!! FLYING?!?

Although i am driving to Nevada about twice a year i will fly back to new york for at least 2-3 weeks at a time, I am moving to Nevada alone so i will not have anyone to watch him so i will have to bring him with me. Most airlines do not accept exotic pets in the cabin, however they accept them as cargo. Will he be safe to fly cargo?
Question
Jul 07 2017
06:54:01 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
I actually travel with my glider all the time and have had very positive experiences. She goes everywhere with me in a bonding pouch...restaurants, movies, doctors appointments, vacations, etc. For car trips, I keep her in her pouch that I wear and she sleeps while I'm driving. When I stop for bathroom breaks every few hours, she gets a bathroom break as well. I love being in hotel rooms with her because the bathrooms are usually fairly glider proof (toilet seat down of course) and we can have play/bonding time each night.

Airline travel is a little tricker but I can tell you what worked for me. When I adopted my little suggie earlier this year, I traveled by air to another state where the breeder was. I knew I'd be returning home by air with my new addition so I called various airlines and they told me the same thing you found out...no exotic pets in the cabin (frustrating, since they do accept dogs, cats, birds, bunnies, monkeys, and spiders...but that's another story). So I made a reservation for her to fly in cargo. Putting a pet in cargo is a personal decision. I'd like to think that airline employees will take special care of our beloved pets. And many breeders ship their gliders around the country/world via airlines without any problems. Having said that, I was uneasy about it. My newly adopted little girl had already been taken from her mom, home, and breeder and would be travelling with me, a stranger. I didn't want to traumatized her further. So I asked the breeder what she would suggest and she put me in touch with a psychologist who "interviewed" me over the phone and diagnosed me with an anxiety disorder. So basically my sugar glider is now registered as a service animal (emotional support pet, to be exact). I'm now able to travel in the cabin with her, Going through security at the airport was nervewracking at first, but after 3 times so far, it gets much easier. You just let TSA know you have a service pet and they will decide how to proceed (ie: full body pat down vs. body scanner vs. metal detector, etc.). They have always been extremely helpful and respectful.

Wishing both of you many happy and safe adventures together!
Question
Jul 07 2017
09:46:33 PM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts

I've only traveled long distance with one once. I had the sun reflecting thingy on top of the carrier I had him in, and the AC pointed to him. I had this one in a carrier because he would chew out of bonding pouches.
Question
Jul 09 2017
08:09:34 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I made a similar cross-country trip from MD to AZ and then back again. My gliders traveled in an RV setup in their vacation Glide-arium (secured) on the way out West (my dog was in RV as well), but on the trip back it was just me, my dog and my trio in my car pulling a U-haul. I kept them in a small cage carrier, buckled in upfront, my dog in the back seat. Their Glide-arium I kept open in the back cargo area for ease of nightly setup. I just rigged their small travel cage carrier so it could sit inside the Glide-arium.

I stopped a total of 4 nights, but then I left AZ in the afternoon, much later than intended, so I only drove for about 4hrs. Drive time varied per day, between stops for gas, potty breaks for both me and my dog, lol. I didn't stop to eat, but tried to make sure I was in a room to setup and feed my animals.

I had mapped out targets for motels (pet friendly), but didn't claim any pets except for one night, and then just my dog. I was too tired to explain the sugar gliders. Also, being the only human, I was a little nervous choosing my rooms, making sure I had outside entrances & ground level rooms to make it easier w/also easy parking for a 5X8 U-haul. I left early in the am, most of the time falling short of my targets. The mapping out rarely worked in 'real time' driving.

Question
Jul 09 2017
08:39:29 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I found photos I took of the setup. The pics were taken after returning for demonstration purposes.

Edited by - TJones09 on Jul 09 2017 08:41:45 PM
Traveling Concerns

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Traveling Concerns