Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Are toys for other types of pets okay? (Birds, rats etc)?
Question
Jul 09 2017
09:23:05 PM
Hi!
So, I was just looking at some pulley toys for my suggies. I would get them (almost) definitely except, they're priced. I have one sorta pulley reset kind of a thing, but i was thinking of getting more for them since I plan on building them a cube pvc sort of a thing for a bigger cage. Anyway, I think the pulley/ reset toys look kinda like toys for other pets. Like birds and rats. Also, this might seem kinda off topic, but I heard something about Walmart's bird toys having lead paint or something? ( anybody know anything about that? ) Anyway, would those toys for rats and birds be okay. Like the rare plastic bird toy, or one of those hanging coconut things and other stuff like that. Also, should i use clip on food dishes? And those little plastic houses you clip onto the cage, i was thinking i could put some fleece in there for them to sleep? Would the bird toys like tho coconut get all gross? And for rat and bird toys, what should I look out for? I've seen these wooden bird perches that are all long and curvy, I've thought about getting them. ( btw, what woods are bad?) And also, what else could I do? Sorry if this was just me rambling :/
Question
Jul 10 2017
10:02:08 AM
BennyNace Glider Visit BennyNace's Photo Album 100 Posts
Hello glidingcameron,

Bird toys and rat toys are most definitely expected to get chewed on so I don't think they would really hurt your suggies.i have lots of bird toys in my sugar cages and I also have a coconut hideaway. They really enjoy pulling the fibers off of the coconut shell. If you buy any type of toy they can fit into, just make sure it's big enough for them to not get stuck in. There are lots of videos on how to make glider toys on YouTube. They enjoy playing with straws, and plastic bracelets and even barrel monkeys. I made a ball pit for mine.
Question
Jul 10 2017
07:31:03 PM
Glidingcameron Glider Visit Glidingcameron's Photo Album 128 Posts
Oh, and I've attempted to make a ball pit with pom poms, but they didn't really... get it? They just kinda walked around it. What else should I put in there to get them interested? Like should I hang it up? Thanks again :)

Edited by - Glidingcameron on Jul 10 2017 07:42:21 PM
Question
Jul 10 2017
08:45:25 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
BennyNace made an excellent point about making sure your gliders can't get stuck. It's amazing the places that our sweet suggies can fit into, as you probably know. Just yesterday my little one crawled into a hole in one of her toys and was struggling to get out. Fortunately I was there to make sure she'd be ok, but we can't watch our suggies 24/7 so it's very important to take every precaution.

I'm not sure about about Walmart toys but I would probably be wary of them. I almost bought a cage from their website until I learned they weren't the safest (can't remember the reason though...maybe the paint). I prefer to go to reputable pet stores or make my own toys with items I know are safe. I've heard you can find some fun things at dollar stores.

I've never tried clip on food dishes or plastic houses. But as long as they're securely attached I guess they would work well.

I have a parrot that loves her rope perch so I thought about getting a smaller one for my glider. However, I read that rope can catch little glider nails. So I ended up getting fleece vines instead which she really enjoys swinging from. The cage I ended up buying from Exotic Nutrition came with several wood bird perches that I didn't think my glider would like too much. But I decided to try them anyway and she ended up loving them. Wood tends to absorb odors though so they have to be cleaned well.

The following is a pretty comprehensive list of safe/unsafe wood and branches. I've only used Eucalyptus but there are many others. Natural/untreated are best.

www.glidercentral.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/807750/Safe_Woods_and_Plant_Toxicity
Question
Jul 11 2017
07:51:49 AM
BennyNace Glider Visit BennyNace's Photo Album 100 Posts
Yes, try hanging it up. I hung mine up. It may make them feel more comfortable. I've actually used the rope perches in two of my glider cages and never had a problem (knock on wood) it seems like they are w poo wound pretty tight. I've even thrown them in the washer when they got nasty. I really like them, and Cameron, try checking the baby section at Walmart ( or wherever) lots of baby toys work good for gliders

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders