Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New glider..help!
New glider..help!
Question
Jul 13 2017
05:38:06 PM
I am not a newbie when it comes to sugar gliders, but this time around I really feel unprepared for the little guy we just brought home. He is 9 weeks old and anytime we put him in the pouch he goes MENTAL. Crabbing that goes on for ever, and if we move the pouch even the slightest he tries to ball up to attack, and then the pattern starts again, crabs and tries to attack. We have 3 other gliders, and I thought my 3 year old male was bad, but this is a whole new level. I know its still early, and he can take some time to bond, but I just need to hear some other stories for encouragement. When I got my male and female pair before, Gizmo the male did not trust me much at all, but he didn't try to attack me and my two little girls have always been very loving. So I feel completely unprepared as I have been very blessed with the gliders we have now. I wont give up on little Maverick...I just need advice!! lol
Question
Jul 13 2017
06:00:05 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
At 9 weeks old, I would maybe start with backing down for some days.
We just got a new rescue, 2 years old very crabby, very scared of us. He has been in his new larger cage. He has been alone in a room by himself for awhile before we got him. I have talked to him at night, given him a few treats, got a pet in on his head once.
Today after having him for a few weeks, we took him to the bathroom and let him run around the room. He was very very jumpy, but didn't bite, just lots of crabbing at times, he even walked on us a little bit.

So I would give him soon room for awhile, maybe start with a glider safe room visit and NOT a bonding pouch if he hates it that much. Talk to him in evening after he gets out.

Some of our gliders still like to crab at us from their sleeping pouch after months and months with us.
Scarface was almost 2 when we got her about 1 year ago, she still spends all her time in bonding pouch trying to get out. But I picked her the other day and she didn't try to bite or nip me, I put her on me and we went to kitchen for mealworm time.
Question
Jul 13 2017
06:06:29 PM
kristeez Starting Member 4 Posts
I have now been giving him space, we only tried to pouch him once. I am also not sure what his previous living conditions were like. The breeder told me about his lineage and all that and he was on a good diet. But when he brought him to me he had him in this tiny plastic cage. We were in a parking lot and he took the lid off the cage to take him out...we were in shock to say the least. He jumped out because he was awake and alert and my gf had to lunge to the ground to catch him from running in the parking lot. I just hope he isnt affected by that and he can learn to trust us, because our gliders are our babies. It's hard when all you want to do is love on them, but I also do understand he is scared and he had a scare. He is now happily enjoying his bigger cage and being loved from a distance lol.
Question
Jul 14 2017
08:49:57 AM
BennyNace Glider Visit BennyNace's Photo Album 100 Posts
I also have a glider that was slot like yours. She would crab and lunge and would even crab while eating a treat. She would almost choke herself! I believe she had just been separated from her mommy. It took her a couple of months to get adjusted, but once she was paired with another glider, he kind of taught her everything. She is a totally different glider now. Tent time helped slot too
New glider..help!

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New glider..help!