Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
weird behavior
weird behavior
Question
Jul 14 2017
10:21:47 PM
Has anybody noticed their gliders acting differently after going to the vet?
Two weeks ago we took our girls to the vet for a wellness checkup, since one of them has allergies.
Since then, they really haven't wanted to interact with us as much as normal. They come out of the cage and play a little, and then they usually want to sit on the top shelf in their toy closet on some towels I put up their. And they burrow into the towels, take baths, and play up there, but they don't seem to want to jump around like they used to. The vet did say they were both a little overweight(one by about 5-10 g and the other by about 30 g) and to cut back on their diet a little.

Both girls are about 5,eating a fairly varied diet of different fruits and veggies, and OHPW diet.

One of them, Cheyenne, tonight is doing very little of anything so far. She sat on my shoulder, cleaned my nose,, and then jumped to some mesh we have on one wall and crawled behind it. She's been there for about 30 minutes, not moving. Her ears are up, but we are really at a loss as to what is going on.
Has anyone elses gliders had allergies, and if so, what did you do? The vet said to give her 6 units of children's benadryl per night, and we have, except for last night. And with the way she is acting tonight, we won't be. It has made her want to come out to play at night later, and she seems groggy when she first has been getting up, but otherwise she has been fine after she has been up for a while. Not tonight, but we don't want to take them to the vet, that's when the problem seemed to start.

Any suggestions at all would be really appreciated.
Question
Jul 15 2017
08:21:04 AM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
It could be the bendryl, I recommend calling the vet for instructions on handling this. They may reduce the dosage, or your glider may adjust and be less groggy over time. I gave my dog benedryl every night for a while, and it began to have less effect on her. I did stop it for some time and will begin again when she appears to develop symptoms again.

I don't know why there are changes with your other glider, but mine have been acting like that recently, but they've also been waking up a bit later after first eating, and seem less playful until much later, but then I have to go to bed. They're still getting out for a little bit, but they go back in their cage soon after and are not doing much. They haven't been to the vets recently, so it's not that. I know they kind of change their routines seasonally and also as they get older, so I'm feeling it's more likely that for my trio, they are acting well otherwise, still very active later at night and super early morning.

Edited by - TJones09 on Jul 15 2017 08:23:20 AM
Question
Jul 15 2017
12:55:53 PM
BandP Super Glider Visit BandP's Photo Album 389 Posts
Thanks Tjones!
Interestingly enough, after I typed my question last night, and went back upstairs to the girls (where my husband was hanging out with them), we went to put them back in, and they were more like their old selves.
I think we will just hold off on the benadryl for a bit, see how they are, and then call the vet.
weird behavior

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
weird behavior