Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sugar glider vomiting
Sugar glider vomiting
Health related
Jul 17 2017
11:06:19 PM
This morning when I woke up I noticed that my Ollie was hissing while trying to go the bathroom, and nothing was coming out. I gave him a bunch of water and apple sauce, but it didn't seem to help. He was so uncomfortable that he was having issues settling down to sleep, as well.

So, I took him to the vets this afternoon and she administered sub-q fluids and sent him home with some stool softener to give him twice a day until he goes back to normal. She also wanted me to come back for more fluids twice a day until he goes back to normal.

At about 9pm I went to go check on him. I noticed he woke up at one point and switched pouches. After letting him sleep for a bit I jostled him awake to try and give him some more apple sauce and try pumpkin. He took a tiny bit of apple sauce and squeezed out a very tiny amount of poop that was pretty soft. He went back to sleep in my hand for a while then woke up on his own. I offered him some more apple sauce which he took, then he climbed off of my onto the bed and walked away then stood there staring into space. I put a little bit of apple sauce on my finger and put it in front of his mouth. I touched it to his mouth and he immediately shook his head. Then seconds later shook it some more shooting vomit all over the place.

After that I grabbed him and he climbed on me then I put him on the cage where I offered him water (which he refused) and more apple sauce (which he accepted a tiny amount). He then sat on the cage staring into space again, so I collected him in my hands and he climbed up onto my shoulder where he's currently sleeping in my hood.

I did not give him the stool softener medicine because I did not want to exasperate anything.

I'm currently visiting my parents (of course this would happen now) and the closest 24 hour vet that has any idea what to do with gliders is an hour and a half away, and I'm not totally confident it would be safe for me to drive that by myself at this hour. There is a 24 hour vet near-by and they offered to look at him, but they don't have any experience with gliders and are not totally confident they can help.

As far as I'm aware, Ollie hasn't consumed anything aside from the apple sauce I gave him post-throw up (I'm assuming he threw up whatever I had given him before that).

The vet didn't take an x-ray (which I'm now kicking myself wishing I asked her to) but she felt his abdomen and didn't think he felt backed up.

I'm obviously concerned, and wondering if anyone has any word of advice of what I can do right now or what they might think the cause would be?

I'm going to take him back to the vet first thing in the morning, but I'm freaking out right now trying to figure out what to do with my little guy.
Health related
Jul 18 2017
05:39:14 AM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Hi. I'm so sorry and you must be so worried.

I'm no expert, but I hope I can tell you something to temporarily help until you see the vet.

Try to have him lick yogurt off your finger and drink a 50/50 mix of Gatorade. The live bacteria in yogurt could help a little the same way it helps humans, at least until you see a vet. You have to keep him hydrated and warm.

I'll pray for your little guy.

Take care.
Health related
Jul 18 2017
06:00:00 AM
nejwig Starting Member 9 Posts
Thank you!

I stayed up with him throughout the night, as he just wanted to stay cuddled in my hand. He took a little bit more apple sauce from me and I gave him some Gerber yogurt juice. He refused to take anything else from me, including treats.

I going to get some Gatorade now before I go into the vets at 8am. He threw up a couple more times during the night, so I'm pretty concerned. :(
Sugar glider vomiting

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sugar glider vomiting