Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Are my gliders just silly?
Question
Jul 18 2017
12:20:24 AM
Hey guys! Ive read these threads every day for the past year or so while researching getting gliders. You guys are all really helpful so maybe you could offer alms insight? Thanks in advance!

I've had Momo and Stella for about 4 months now. Momo is quiet and reserved and very shy. I'm still working on bonding with him every day/night and he's been very slow of course... it almost seems like he will like me for a day and then do side jumps around my hand the next day, if that makes sense. I'm having some trouble bonding with him, so any tips would be awesome! I've read all the tips and tricks here and have found them helpful. He will sleep in my bra and sometimes sleep in my hand, but just doesn't come up to me ever and will still run away from me unless he wants to come out and poo on me. He doesn't like to play with toys at all and mainly just sits around watching Stella. Is this normal?

Stella also doesn't play with toys in the cage but she's a lot more active on her stealth wheel. Is it normal for gliders to not like toys, fleece, rope, straws, bells, etc? Mine basically stay on the cage walls and run around.

(By the way, I have 2 DCN cages side by side together, so a pretty big cage)

The thing that I'm a little weirded out by is that last night Stella figured out she could squeeze under her toy house. There's about a 1" gap between part of the house and the floor (it has levels) and she has been under there everytime she gets the chance. I tried to close it up but now both Momo and Stella were biting at it, struggling to get it open, and Momo was sort of pushing his head to the ground trying to push it open. they're both sleeping under there as we speak.

So is it normal for them to be this odd around a toy house? They've had this thing in there since we adopted Momo, and have never really shown an interest in it until last night.

Oh another thing, it doesn't have any treats or food particles or anything interesting under there. They have a bunch of pouches that they regularly sleep in and also have no problem sleeping in them during the day! Are they just being strange or is this normal?!

Edited by - zeldaxlove on Jul 18 2017 12:21:06 AM
Question
Jul 18 2017
09:49:00 AM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
It sounds normal that they would find an alternate hidey hole in their cage. I have one girl who prefers a tiny cardboard box to sleep in. Every time I open a lb. of butter I save the box for her.
Question
Jul 18 2017
07:01:46 PM
zeldaxlove Starting Member 5 Posts
Oh that's good to know! I thought they weren't supposed to sleep on the floor lol. I just got home from work and they were both sleeping under the house again. So weird! lol!
Question
Jul 19 2017
09:37:24 AM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
Well, sometimes a sick glider will just sit on the bottom of the cage, but in your case I think they just found an intriguing spot to hole up in.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders