Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Don't know what to feed my glider
Food, Diet
Jul 18 2017
09:46:39 AM
I recently purchased a sugar glider about three weeks ago. I just finished giving him the rest of his pellet food and i don't know what to get him because I'm reading that pellet food isn't the best for gliders. I feed him veggies and fruit every day and i sprinkle the powder on top. i even make sure he has fresh water and food every day. My husband did research and found pellets aren't the best so I'm looking for something else that will work. No mean comments, I'm just looking for help. Thanks.
Food, Diet
Jul 18 2017
07:34:36 PM
kidqwik Joey Visit kidqwik's Photo Album 47 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Gliderlove0908

I recently purchased a sugar glider about three weeks ago. I just finished giving him the rest of his pellet food and i don't know what to get him because I'm reading that pellet food isn't the best for gliders. I feed him veggies and fruit every day and i sprinkle the powder on top. i even make sure he has fresh water and food every day. My husband did research and found pellets aren't the best so I'm looking for something else that will work. No mean comments, I'm just looking for help. Thanks.

I recommend Critter Love. I've had 2 gliders since Feb and another 2 since May. They've been on Critter Love. They get that every night with one of the four required fruit/veggies salad mixes that you are supposed to feed them in combination with Critter Love. They get this at night and in the day I leave a few Pet Pro Happy Gliders pellets in case they wake up during the day and want something. The pellets aren't mean to be their main food and I take them out at night and only leave a few of them in a foraging toy for them to find while they do their nightly play thing. You can find more info about Critter Love and the salads mixes at http://www.critterlove.com/diet-info.html
Food, Diet
Jul 19 2017
09:44:51 AM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
I feed OHPW which is really Critter Love. Great diet! And no more sprinkling an unspecified amount of vitamins on their food, because it is all in the mix. Until you can get them on a staple diet you might feed them a bit of chicken baby food or scrambled eggs (no salt) along with their fruits and vegetables. They don't need a lot of protein, just a bit.
Food, Diet
Jul 19 2017
05:51:26 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Personally, I don't think it matters which diet I feed mine, I feed mine the diet that works best for my gliders, that I can afford to feed consistently and that I feel confident in.

My reasons probably aren't going to be the same as the reasons you prefer one diet over the others. So here's what I suggest.

Take a look at all the widely used well know diets Personally I recommend 2, Bml and Critter Love.

Regardless if you only look at these 2 diets or others as well here are a few things to consider.

1 online or offline for supplies, this one question alone can make a difference in which direction you will need to go. If you don't mind shopping online for ingredients or complete diets.. your options are pretty open. If you DO mind and want to find the ingredients locally then your option is BML.

IF shopping online is ok then consider the following.

2 Cost, what can you afford to feed consistently? I can't afford to feed Critter Love to mine I have 10 gliders and one still brewing. If I only had 2 gliders it might be more economical for me.

3 Prep time, how much time do you have to prepare the diets? some take only a few minutes others there is a lot of chopping involved. I can't stand in the kitchen chopping fruits n veg for hours n hours to make salads or tpg, so I don't.

4 Storing the food. Consider your storage space in the freezer, some diets make a lotttttttttt of food. My freezer is not much bigger than a 6 pack cooler so I can't have 2 gallons of glider food in there...

5 powdered vs fresher ingredients. If you don't like the powdered ingredients that rules out Critter love and back to bml...

And regardless of all of the above and what you think will work for you and your circumstances, it really comes down to what the gliders eat the best , They may not eat the diet that fits your lifestyle and budget the best.

No matter what diet you decide on, don't get discouraged it may take them a few days to really eat it well. Follow the directions exactly, make no substitutions on anything. Some diets are more strict than others and there are valid reasons for it, so if a recipe says to use a specific ingredient and a specific measurement follow that.

There are a lot of modified diets floating around online, make sure you follow the recipe on the diet creators site.

Edited by - Leela on Jul 19 2017 05:55:07 PM
Food, Diet
Aug 12 2017
06:59:28 AM
Skylar1357 Starting Member 1 Posts
Hi I'm new here as well and debating sugar gliders. I live in Canada so to get critterlove (which I think would be best suited to me after researching all the other diets I could find) I would have to pay a decent amount in shipping which I'm willing to do. My only worry is they won't like it. I plan to only get critterlove complete and handle the "salad" part on my own. As a guinea pig owner there's usually a decent variety of veg in my house as well as fruit (lettuce, cucumber, carrots, apples, bananas, kale are usually always available as well as one kind of berry at least). I would prefer to order a larger bag so I'm not constantly paying shipping so I was wondering if there's anyone who's gliders blatantly refuse this food or if there's anything I could add to the mixture to entice them to eat it? I plan to get 2 Joey's. One is approx 4 months OOP and the other is 10 weeks I am told they are brothers but I'm not familiar with sugar glider breeding (as I don't plan to ever breed) so not even sure if that's possible. They will both be neutered before coming home with me.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders