Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Hissing while urinating sometimes
Health related
Jul 20 2017
06:59:01 PM
So my glider was hissing every time he urinated, and sometimes he does it while he poops. I know it can be normal when pooping, but it isn't normal when urinating and may indicate a UTI. I took him to the vets and got some antibiotics as well as an anti inflammatory. The antibiotics didn't seem to do anything at all (I used them the entire time I was told to) and he was still hissing as soon as I stopped the anti inflammatory meds. While he was on, he wasn't hissing at all.

This lasted about a week. The vet told me to try to do only one dose every other day instead of one a day. So I tried. As soon as I didn't give him his meds, he started hissing. I usually give them right when he wakes up, but this time when he didn't get them, he started hissing within the hour. I thought the meds wore off, so I gave him a dose. The vet said he may have gotten used to the meds and just be hissing because he wants them, or he's adapted the behavior now and hisses just because that's what he does.

The radiograph came back with no bladder stones and nothing abnormal.

Sorry for the book. I'm going to try to get a urine sample for the third time (he never pees when I need him to!) and do a urinalysis. I can't afford a culture, but at least I'll know if it's a UTI. If it isn't.... I'm out of ideas.

Now, even though I give him his meds nightly, he's hissing again! But he only hisses the first time he urinates when he wakes up. I do not hear him at all, all night long. (He wakes up at around 7-8 p.m. and I go to bed at 11 p.m., and don't hear him during that time). I don't wake up to it either, which I think I would because I wake up to him all the time. I think it's exactly what the vet said -- he just hisses during his first pee because that's his behavior now, but I'm worried that the meds might not be working now (increase the dose maybe?)

I don't really expect anyone on here to have an answer (which is why I am going to the vets again -- getting expensive : ) I just wondered if anyone has gone through anything like this before, and what they ended up doing. I also want to post this so other people can see what I've done and maybe it'll help them too. I'll post results when I get them.
Health related
Aug 01 2017
02:59:37 AM
Peonia Joey Visit Peonia's Photo Album 22 Posts
What kind of diet your glider is on? Is their poop soft or dry? You probably must give your glider cranberry juice twice a week regularly too just to avoid a uti
Health related
Aug 01 2017
06:57:35 AM
Anonymous - 4 Posts
So I did a urine culture ans a urinalysis. He has an extrmely bad UTI that just was resistant to the antibacterial medication I used the first time. Now he's on a diff one and it seems to be working.
Health related
Aug 03 2017
07:09:27 AM
Peonia Joey Visit Peonia's Photo Album 22 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous

So I did a urine culture ans a urinalysis. He has an extrmely bad UTI that just was resistant to the antibacterial medication I used the first time. Now he's on a diff one and it seems to be working.

That's really horrible! Im glad it was discovered atleast, I hope everything goes well for you..

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders