Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
[Help] Sugar Glider with Broken Tail Tip
Health related
Jul 20 2017
09:39:08 PM
Two days ago, I noticed loss of fur and redness on the tip of my 7 year old male sugar glider's tail. Yesterday, I did not examine him closely but saw no difference in his behavior.

Today, he looked to have dried fecal matter at the tip of his tail. Upon closer examination, I found that it was dried blood. When attempting to wipe away some of the blood, the shriveled up dark tip snapped off. I was horrified to find that this was the tip of his tail! I tried to clean the wound by dipping the tip in hydrogen peroxide, rinsing it, and then gently drying. He was pretty cooperative and showed no visible discomfort. Currently, the tip of his tail has dead dark skin and a few millimeters of tail bone sticking out.

After reading some similar posts, I don't think that this is a critical injury. I do know that I must watch for infection. A related post mentioned the antibiotic, baytril. Any suggestions on dosage for preventative measures?
I will be most appreciative to any advice! Thank you!

Edited by - catnip on Jul 20 2017 09:39:39 PM
Health related
Jul 21 2017
07:09:55 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
I wouldn't say tail injuries aren't critical injuries, they are however common.

It's not uncommon for tip the fall off when it's necrotic ( dead tissue ) but it sounds like it's spreading up the tail and probably needs amputated by a vet.

The critical part is infection and if the glider bothers the tail and makes the injured site worse ( before and after amputation ) Once amputated and healed gliders generally do pretty well and adapt to the shorter tail pretty well.

Baytril is a broad spectrum antibiotic the dosage depends on the gliders weight the vet may give you a different antibiotic and pain meds if needed.

I'd suggest gathering some supplies to make an e collar in case he needs it, if he bothers the injury at all he needs an e collar until healed. [url]http://gliderhealth.com/slfmutl/ecollar.html[/url]

If he does need an e collar he will need some after care until he's healed. He will need a pouch he can get in and out of with the collar on, easier access to food and water- we use bird water silo's for water and staple so the glider can eat and drink on it's own the trough of the silo fits in the cone of the e collar. [url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/4Pcs-Bird-Pet-Drinker-Food-Feeder-Waterer-Water-Bottle-for-Budgie-Cage-/182653199371?epid=13004729237&hash=item2a86faa40b:g:ehUAAOSwpONZXbM3[/url] These water silo's are my favorite, they are cheap and well made

You also may need to clean him while he's in the e collar because he won't be able to self groom.

The other thing is you'll want to try to find the source of the tail injury and remove it from the cage.

Does he have cage mates?

if so, is he separated now for the injury? If not he needs to be.

not sure why links aren't working if you need me to pm them to you I can.

Edited by - Leela on Jul 21 2017 07:11:45 AM

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders