Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bonding
Bonding
Information
Jul 29 2017
07:46:04 AM
I got a sugar glider 2 days ago i have tried to pick him up using my hand on the first day but he bit me later i found it thats the last thing you wanna do on their first night in their new home so the next day i woke up and i found him sleeping in shirt that i left in the cage with my scent on it to help speed up the bonding process and picked him up with the shirt and cupped him in my hands after a few minutes i moved my hand to take a peek at him and he lunged at my finger that scared me so i cupped him again after like an hour or 2 i placed him back in the cage and made a boiled egg for him unfortunely he didn't eat the egg and it spoiled today (third day technically but i got him at night the first day) i just sat with him next to the cage talking softly and attempting to feed him honey with my finger it worked one time and he licked some honey of of my finger but that was it after that he wouldn't do it again he was too afraid but rarely crabs at me he bites most of the time without crabbing at me and i have read at many sites that you shouldn't pull back or scream when they bite you so i tried doing that but he bit so many times in a row i just couldn't bear it and pulled away after and left him after an hour i tried feeding him dried fruits that i found in the refridgerator when i offered him the dried fruit he takes them licks them then throws later my mom told me they were sour dried fruits so i thought the reason he threw was because their sour and he didn't like it so 2 hours later after spending time next to the cage i got him to go in the bonding pouch (i didn't pick him up or scare him inside it i only place the bonding pouch infront of him) after he went in i went to a tent (a really crappy and very small one) that didn't have zippers so i sat at the entrance and let him out but that only made things worser he was scared and tried escaping so i block him with my hand but that only scared him and made him fear my hands more so i get him to go in the bonding pouch again since he was very scared and took him back to the cage after that i make him boiled egg again and some fruits and veggies (apples, peach, cucumber, papaya, grapes) but unfortunely after a few minutes of being in the cage he went into my shirt and slept leaving the food

What i wanna know is everything i did wrong and how to correct it and advice on what i should in the future and also how can i get him to eat the egg he hasn't had anything with protein in it for 3 days also should i try to cup him using my bare hands if so can i do it without getting bitten
Also the person that i bought the sugar glider of said its a female but his not sure and he fed them mealworms and egg for protein but my mom won't let me buy mealworms she absolutely hates any kind of bugs even dead ones
And the bonding pouch is hand made by my mom it doesn't have a zipper or a window so will she suffocate in it when i hold the opening tight
Information
Jul 29 2017
06:22:21 PM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
Great idea giving her one of your old shirts! I'm glad to see you're trying your hardest to bond with her.

First thing I think you need to change is the diet. She needs to be feed a staple diet instead of just a hard boiled egg. You can read about diets in the gliderpedia.

Second thing you need to change is to get a pup tent that has zippers. I got mine from Walmart for about $10 or &15. This way you can play with her and have her investigate you at her pace without worrying about loosing her. Play time should be done at night when she's awake.

You should invest in a bonding pouch so you can safely keep her on you during the day. You can sleep with the bonding pouch and make it smell like you. Over time she'll get used to your movements, voice, and life with you. Take her out for about an hour everyday and over time increase the time she's with you so you don't stress her out too much.

When she's in the bonding pouch you can handle it with your hand a little so she gets used to that feeling. It may be a while before she let's you handle her bare handed.

Just have patience. Some gliders are harder to bond with than others. Over time you'll get to know her and figure out what she like s and what she doesn't. Don't be afraid to test different tactics on bonding and it's ok to make little mistakes. As long as you don't seriously/repeatedly hurt her or "discipline" her then the mistake won't effect the bonding process.
Information
Jul 30 2017
05:07:08 AM
Ardleen Starting Member 2 Posts
Hi im new here too and i dont know how to post a message and im so so sorry for hijacking this post. So, my male sugar glider has been acting very wierdly i think he thinks that my hands are his child(?) because everytime i put my hands infront of his pouch he always bite my hands and drag it into his pouch but the bites werent hurt me at all he just pulled my hands into his pouch and i found it very unusual and been searching for this wierd behavior and seems like no one ever got this kind of behavior any thoughts what might he wanted me to do? Or what should i do? (Sorry for my bad english)
Information
Jul 30 2017
06:30:10 AM
hshlm Starting Member 4 Posts
Thanks for the good answer I ordered from amazon a exotic nutrition instant hpw
and glider complete also from exotic nutrition and a wheel for him i also bought glider-cal and glider booster i will get a better tent in the future (running low on money) i will use the bathroom for now i saw that you can use it if you don't have a tent i will ask my mom to make a better pouch hopefully she agrees i also made a toy with straws and got her a small wooden room the i covered the inside with fleece the i rubbed on me for her to sleep and smell
i got her to eat the egg she seemed to like it but today fourth day when i tried to feed her the egg while she was inside her little room she lunged at my finger and scared the crap out of me even tho i gave her a grape before the egg and she was totally okay with it i also realised that i have no way of making her get out of the room so she can go in the pouch so i need help on that
Information
Jul 30 2017
09:04:36 AM
hshlm Starting Member 4 Posts
update: my brother is traveling today and he has a parrot his gonna keep it with us so should i keep their cages in the same room will it be okay?
Information
Jul 31 2017
12:50:55 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
ok... to HSHLM

I think you need to slow your roll, back off and give the little guy some room.

1. an egg is not a proper diet. Get on a proper diet, instant HPW is good.
2. At night before you go to bed and after the glider wakes up, sit by cage and talk to the glider. IF he is biting then back off!! he is scared so just give him some food and talk to him. dont get bit.
3. If you have some time during the day when he is sleeping, put him in a bonding pouch with a slice of apple and wear him for a few hours, don't overdue it to start. After a few hours put him back in cage.
4. If you think he is getting less scared, in a few days or weeks!! or even a month. make the bathroom glider safe, and caring him in bonding pouch to bathroom and spend an hour with him.

He has been with you for only a few days, your going to need to give him some time to get used to you, take it slow and give him LOTS OF TIME!

PS if a glider bites me, I pull away, it hurts. But I don't get bite much, as I try to limit the glider having a reason to bite me. With new gliders I put treat on a small plate, sometime new gliders don't know how to eat a treat from your hand without taking part of your finger with the treat, they learn to take treats nicely.

We just got 4 new gliders, one is very mean, big crabber. he's nails had not been cut in forever and he was sticking to fleece. So my wife took a hand made sleeping pouch with a small hole in it, she put the pouch inside out and on her hand. she grabbed the scared glider and pulled pouch right side in so glider was inside it. I took crabbing glider and held him tight but nice, and pulled out arms and legs one at a time and the wife cut nails. After we got done and put him back to cage he was still ok with us, even more curious then scared and we didn't get bit....thank the lord.
Bonding

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bonding