Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Nuetering?
Nuetering?
Food, Diet
Aug 06 2017
07:28:29 PM
Hi everyone, for those of you that don't know, I am knew to glider gossip and recently got my first glider a few days back. He is a beautiful reverse stripe true platinum mosaic with spotted ears. He is also 100% het for lue, 100% het for platinum and 50% het for cremino. He is sure to make some
beautiful babies. I was just wondering what is all your opinion on nuetering? I got him as a pet, and had originally planned on nuetering, but after seeing his beautiful (and rare) coloring along with everything he is het for, I feel like it would be a shame to nueter him. Especially since he is lineaged and it's impossible to find colored gliders where I am. I was just wondering what is your opinion? Do you any of you have an unnuetered glider? I am only worried that if I don't nueter him, he may become territorial and more aggressive. Also, I do want him to be in a pair, but I am not quite ready to start breeding as I am still a teen and pretty new to sugar gliders. Would I be able to keep him with a neutered male or unnueteed male until i am ready to start breeding? If I were to bond him with another male, would I still be able to breed him with another female eventually? Also, would it be cruel to leave him unnuetered and not provide him with a female to mate with? Just let me know your thoughts and opinions as I am not sure what I should do. Luckily, he is still a joey so I have a few months to decide.
Food, Diet
Aug 08 2017
01:22:52 AM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
I would neuter him. As a teen who had Joeys it's a lot of work and a big pain in the butt. It's hard to give the babies up and they have a set every six months about. I went from three to ten real fast.
Food, Diet
Aug 08 2017
09:39:20 AM
sahana.kargi Joey Visit sahana.kargi's Photo Album 37 Posts
Is there anyway I could not nueter him and wait to breed him? Or would that be cruel? Also, can unnuetered gliders bond with other males? I will nueter him if that is what is best, I just paid a lot of money for him and I think it would be a little sad to just neuter him.
Also, this is a very weird question, but is there anything like sugar glider studs? I know for bunnies, if you have a male you can do stud services and then someone can use your male to breed with their female. It's nice because they don't need to purchase a male and the other person doesn't need to buy a female bunny. Is there anyway to do that with sugar gliders? So he could atleast produce some joeys before I neutered him? Sorry if this was an odd question
Food, Diet
Aug 08 2017
11:08:34 AM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
I have not heard anything ever mentioned about stud service. One thing that comes to mind is that unlike with rabbits, the dad needs to be there with mom to help raise the babies.
Food, Diet
Aug 08 2017
11:15:39 AM
jdching Face Hugger 807 Posts
A neutered male could make a good cage mate for your boy. I don't think it would be cruel not to provide a female, he won't miss what he has never had.
Food, Diet
Aug 08 2017
11:37:00 AM
sahana.kargi Joey Visit sahana.kargi's Photo Album 37 Posts
Okay thank you:) I have heard that sometimes unnuetered males can become very dominant and territorial, is that the case? Also, if I do decide to breed him later (years later), will I be able to just keep him with the neutered male and introduce a pair of females?
Thank you for all of your help:)
Food, Diet
Oct 19 2017
09:03:15 PM
Jennfaith Joey Visit Jennfaith's Photo Album USA 16 Posts
A neutered male could work out as a cage mate after proper introductions, but no guarantee. Even better if he has a brother. Definitely cannot put two intact males together. My suggestion is to Neuter him. My male was Snow White with dark markings when I got him ,(he's a platinum mosaic)and now he is this ugly yellowish white w dark markings and it is all thanks to him staining his fur from marking his territory. His whole underside isn't white anymore. They don't do this if they are Neutered. I am going to get him fixed plus they stink with their scent glands. He was much sweeter before he hit puberty, I hope he goes back to how he used to be. I could go with many more reasons about why I personally prefer but I will stop here. I would lovee pictures of your boy
Nuetering?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Nuetering?