Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
How do I let my female have a break from having joeys
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Aug 11 2017
10:44:05 AM
Hello I was wondering how I let my female take a break from having joeys for 1 year I haven't breed her let but I am wondering before I breed her I would love the help thank u.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Aug 11 2017
11:03:24 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
It is extremely difficult to do so...

One way is to know her well enough to be able to tell when she is going to be in heat and separate her from the male for a few days when it occures (which proves to be complicated, especially when she is nursing joeys, without even considering the fact that separating bonded pairs is often stressfull for them)

Another way is to have the male neutered before her current litter comes out of pouch (but then, you cannot expect breed her again with the same male in the future, so you would have to either break the pair to introduce her to another male, or stop breeding her altogether)

I know some people managed to recreate a kind of seasonnal pattern by reducing the proteins intake (simulating a winter-like protein-poor period during which the females do not go into heat in the wild), but there's not much details about it, so it sounds difficult to replicate without knowing exactly the amount of proteins needed, nor are there any studies on how it affects the life expectancy of the animals.

Edited by - sjusovare on Aug 11 2017 11:07:14 AM
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Aug 11 2017
05:16:32 PM
Sugargliderworld Joey 15 Posts
Thank u

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders