Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sugar Glider Breeding Questions
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Aug 11 2017
02:44:44 PM
Hi everyone, I just had a few questions pertaining to breeding. There doesn't seem to be very much information about it so I just had a few questions.
1. Do the males and females have to be bonded to breed? Would you have to bond the male and female before you breed them or will they breed even if they are not fully bonded. Also, can u split them up after Joeys. Like for example if you have two sets of breeding pairs, can you switch the males between the two to get more color variation?
2. I know people always say not to keep a male and female together as the male will constantly breed with the females. They say that the females will not be healthy and their lifespan is greatly reduced if that happens. So what do breeder do? Do they keep them together all year around and if so, how do they stop the males from constantly breeding with the females?
3. Is there anyway for the female to stop having joeys without neutering the male? Like can u separate the female or will they become too upset then?
4. Could you have multiple males for breeding? Like having two males and four females in one cage?
5. What is the ideal breeding ratio of males to females? 1:1, 1:2, 1:3?
6. How long can females keep breeding? Is there an age where they naturally stop reproducing?
7. So breeding males and females live shorter lives than pet only males and females?
8. Can you introduce more females into a breeding pair?
9. Is there an type of sugar glider stud services? Where you can breed your male to another female (not yours), for money or the pick of the litter like in rabbits?
10. At what age do you have to remove the joeys to avoid inbreeding? Also, in the wild, the babies won't leave the colony so how is there not inbreeding in the wild? Or is there inbreeding?
11. Can you breed caramel sugar gliders to the standard grey? I know caramel are considered to be a different subspecies

Sorry, I know this is a lot of questions but I am just very curious and there doesn't seem to be much information about it. Thank you
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Aug 11 2017
04:40:24 PM
Sugargliderworld Joey 15 Posts
Ok
Q1 yes they have to be bonded but it sometimes depends on the glider. If you switch the males u would have to bond them and it would be hard on them plus if the female has a joey the other male will kill it or the female it it to hard on her .But if u want a lot of color v het for mosaic and lue plus platinum but it can be different on what color u like.

Q2. You will have to known when she is in heat it it is important because if u want her to have break from breeding so when in heat separate the male from her for 5 day to be safe.also I hear another thing to help her not breed low the temperature not where it like cold but like 60 or 65 I hear helps stop the breeding until u want to breed them or lower her protain it help to because they will need a lot of protein if they want to have another joey.

Q3 I answered that one in 2 if not say something because I will be back to cheak.

Q4 no never have 2 males together because no mater what they will fight to have the females and to be the alpha plus they could hurt each other really bad there is always one male alpha but male can have 2 to 3 females to breed with that also a another way to get more colors from them U should look up a lot about the colors when the breed so u will have a better idea.i think answer 5 in 4

Joeys, birth, parenthood
Aug 11 2017
05:10:25 PM
Q6 well it really up to the mother because if she doesn't want to breed she will pull them out and eat them also u have to keep this in mind sometimes female never want to so if they eat their first and second set on jeoys it best just to neutral the male because it will just sad to keep breeding them also I would stop breeding them 4 or 5 years old but that me.but here the info to your answer look up breeding sugar gliders?what is to old it on glider gossip

Q7 well it depends on the gliders heath

Q8 well it will be hard if they are already a colony because most of the times they will never accept her but you can get 3 female before the male.

Q9 I don't really know what u are asking in 9 if can tell me in a different way.

Q10 u can keep the female Joeys that the breeding pair have had not the male joeys because the will try to breed with his sister unless u fix the males that they had.in the wild the males would leave the colony to find a female that also left too but I would think sometimes inbreeding would happen but the females would pull out the joeys if they had any heath problems the seem to know.but u should look up what can go wrong in Breeding it sad but u must know if u are going to breed them www.glidernursery.com/breeding.html Or just look up what can go wrong in sugar glider breeding site should say breeding glider Nursey

Joeys, birth, parenthood
Aug 11 2017
05:14:02 PM
Q11 yes you can breed them together
If you have any other questions tell me
Or if I didn't answer ur question tell me or if u didn't understand stand tell I would love to help u
And ok to have a lot of questions.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Aug 12 2017
05:22:35 AM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
To answer number 9, you should not do the stud thing.

You must introduce gliders and make sure the get along. Then they must bond to each other before they begin to breed. Once the breed the male still plays an important role in raising the joeys. Those whole process takes months so once it is time to return the glider you will then have problems. They can get depressed after the loss of their cage mate.

Honestly I think breeding them is a bad idea. I inherited a male and two females who breed so I didn't have a choice at first. It's very stressful and can be very heart breaking. I've since neutered all of my males to prevent further breeding.

On top of that there really are a lot of gliders in this world and many of them don't have a good home. Do you want to add to that?
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Aug 13 2017
03:04:53 AM
sahana.kargi Joey Visit sahana.kargi's Photo Album 37 Posts
Thank you guys for all of your help:) I just wanted to note that I am not planning on breeding anytime soon and I honestly don't think it is something I would ever do. I think I would be too attached to the joeys to give them up for adoption. Also, I agree with there being a lot of homeless sugar gliders, but in my area, there are actually not very many. In fact finding a sugar glider, (especially from a breeder with lineaged gliders) is near impossible, I was very lucky to find my breeder.
Tank you all so much again:)

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders