Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Travel cage
Travel cage
Question
Aug 14 2017
07:21:36 PM
My husband and I are trying to find a good sugar glider cage for when we are visiting with friends or family and want to bring the girls along. At home we have a 5 foot by 2 1/2 foot cage for my two gliders, and we wanted to find a smaller wire cage (between 2 and 3 feet high) that will fit in my car but still have enough room for them to explore and move around comfortably. It's hard to find a small cage that also has 1/2 inch spacing between the bars. Has anyone heard of or used a cage like this? I know we aren't supposed to keep gliders in such close quarters, but the cage will only be used for day trips. The longest amount of time they would spend in there is maybe five or six hours. I tried using a soft travel carrier but Brie and Zelda absolutely HATED being in there and tore up the lining (seriously it looked like a scene from a horror film in there).
Thanks in advance for your help! :-)
Question
Aug 14 2017
10:20:48 PM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
Would a cage this size work? It's small and the spacing in the bars are safe. Since they will be in it during the day for a short period of time it should work. It fits comfortably in a car. It's $40 from PetSmart.

The reason I have one is because I rescued a glider living in this little cage. It is in no way suitable for living in. It can't fit a glider safe wheel in it. But it is small enough to fit in a car and since it is wire it can't be destroyed.
Question
Aug 15 2017
10:46:44 AM
alyssajordan05 Joey Visit alyssajordan05's Photo Album 25 Posts
Hmm that may be a little on the small side. Do you know the dimensions? Thanks so much for responding! I can't believe someone actually had a glider LIVING in that thing permanently! Some people....
Question
Aug 16 2017
10:13:31 AM
sahana.kargi Joey Visit sahana.kargi's Photo Album 37 Posts
I met a person and their glider was living in a critter trail hamster cage... they didn't even use sleeping punches and the critter trails were plastic so I don't know where the glider is climbing. They also did it really take their glider out of the cage and fed him cat food. Like the cheap kibble. I told him how bad it was and he said that he found t upgrade the cage cuz the glider didn't like big cages... I don't believe it. It's so sad to think what horrible lives some gliders are living:(
As for the cage, look for parakeet cages. I have one that I am siding for my joey. He is young now so I'm using this while he is learning to glide. I know it's a small cage but it's a pretty good size for a travel cageot it is about 12 by 18 by 36. I got it off a rehoming site so I reccomend checking those. Also, if you find a cage but the bar spacing is too much, you can put hardware cloth over the wire and zip tie it on. Hope this was able to help:)

Question
Aug 16 2017
04:12:49 PM
That cage fits nicely in the car. So instead of using a carrier you can use it.
For a cage you can keep them in for a vacation that is easy to transport you can buy this one.

www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00SK7HOUO/ref=mp_s_a_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1502917332&sr=8-17&keywords=bird+cages

I think I linked the same cage that I have, but you might want to double check that.

It is too tall for my cars, so I either have to lay it on its side or take it apart. It very easy to take apart. A little challenging to put together. It's also a good spare cage in my opinion. It can fit two glider comfortably and three is kinda pushing it.

Yeah I thought it was messed up that they kept Gizmo in that tiny little cage. When I got the poor thing he was underweight, over grooming, and had a huge fear of hands. Over time he gained some weight, his bald spots grew in, and he no longer feared my hands. I no longer have him because he did not get along with any of my gliders and he really needed a friend. He is currently living at a rescue in Arizona. He did begin over grooming on the trip down to Arizona.
Question
Aug 16 2017
06:38:23 PM
Thank you so much for the help and advice guys! I'll definitely check those cages out. I'm always careful when I show people photos of my girls and they say "oh my god they are SOOOO cute! I'm getting one!" to make sure they absolutely know how tricky and difficult it can be to house and feed gliders. I also tell them you have to get at least two, that they can be fairly expensive, and they require lots of time and attention. That usually deters most of them from deciding to buy one on a whim, and those who are still interested i direct them to this site (among a few others) to do more research. I can't stand the idea of those poor little gliders being mistreated and crammed into tiny cages!
Question
Aug 16 2017
07:00:18 PM
The guy who owned Gizmo was a friend of mine. He saw mine and wanted one. I told him they are a lot of work and they aren't like hamsters. Well he didn't listen. Bought one on Craigslist and then kept him in that tiny cage until he gave him to me. I was livid.
Question
Aug 17 2017
02:43:18 PM
That's awful, I'm so sorry to hear that. I am glad you were able to rescue Gizmo though and give that precious baby a better home!
Travel cage

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Travel cage