Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Tent bonding???
Tent bonding???
Question
Aug 16 2017
01:43:34 PM
As I previously mentioned, I am very much a newbie owner. I am trying to bond with my gliders and am doing it by 1)having them in pouch (at least 1) on a daily basis and 2) tent bonding.

Last night was the 2nd time for the tent. They love running around and climbing to the top. Last night I was playing a game with Serena (that's was I tell myself). She would come to my hand, I would hold it up, and say "jump" and she would then job to the screen. We did this several times and that is why I call it a game.

Anyway, I can't get them out of the tent when it is time to go to their cage. I have tried several things:
1) holding the bonding pouch up to them hoping they will go inside
2) holding my hand and putting them inside
3) treats inside bag

What they do is just avoid the bag which leaves me having to chase them which is something that I don't want to do.

Suggestions please as I love watching them in the tent and having them all over me but it is a pain getting them out.
Question
Aug 16 2017
07:24:45 PM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
When I had that problem I would turn on all of the lights in that room and shine a flash light. Then I would offer them the pouch with treats in it. Mine hate the light and will stay in the pouch if there is too much light. Then when they were in the pouch I would yell to my mom and be like ones in the pouch and she would put it in the cage before it escaped.

It gets better over time :)
Question
Aug 16 2017
07:55:56 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
For us we have 7 of the 9 that are pretty easy, they go in the pouch or we can just pick them up and put them in the pouch. But for 2 we still have to chase them to get them in the pouch. Tip one. aim for where you think they are going when you grab. Tip two. use hand towel size fleece and put it over them. BUT I do like the other suggestion of turning all the lights on.
Question
Aug 17 2017
11:51:00 AM
ptamom Glider Visit ptamom's Photo Album 145 Posts
Thanks again for the help. I am so looking forward to when they just sit in my hand or pocket
Question
Aug 17 2017
01:58:21 PM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Hi!
Congrats on your new sugar gliders.
I like the idea of turn the lights on and put yummy treats in the pouch, then offer the pouch to them.
What time are you doing the tent time? If you do it in the early morning before they go to sleep they may want to go in the pouch more.
To be honest, I still have a couple who don't like to ride the pouch back to the tent. So I literally wait until they're on me, then unzip the tent and head straight to the cage. Clare Bear is a spaz and will leap to the cage as soon as I'm in range so I have to make sure the door is open and get there quick! Fionn will literally climb out of the pouch to ride my shoulder to the cage, then runs down my arm and jumps from my hand to the cage the moment I get there. So, that's a possibility. Just be careful no other pets are around in case one gets all kinds of curious to explore suddenly.

And just by the way, mine never sit in my hand. When they're awake, they're much too busy playing. At best they use me as a jungle gym lol. I also never trained them to be in my pockets. Turns out girl clothes have really small pockets....plus, it's just easier to let them snuggle together in their cages all day.
Tent bonding???

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Tent bonding???