Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sleeping in separate pouches
Question
Aug 19 2017
02:54:20 PM
I have three sugar gliders. Finn, Quinn, and Bell. Finn and Bell have been in the same cage for the last year and 8 months. Quinn joined about six months ago.

They get along well and bicker about food every so often. Sometimes when they go to bed I can hear them tsst, but it goes away after they get comfortable. They don't fight and when they wake up they usually cuddle in the pineapple for a bit. I have three pouches in the cage so if they wanted to they can all sleep alone.

For the past month I couldn't help noticing one is sleeping alone more often. The strange part is that it's always a different glider. The last two times it was Finn, but before that it was Bell, and before that it was Quinn. The other two will stay in a pouch together.

Is this something to worry about? Could they just be craving some alone time since they are together all the time?

(These were taken last night)

Question
Aug 20 2017
03:09:52 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
Our 9 will sometimes all cram in one pouch. then the next day 3 are in the second super sized pouch. then the next day only 2 are separate. sometimes 4 are apart.
Our new colony of 4 I have notice they also don't always sleep together.

So I feel a second pouch is always a good idea. And sleeping apart at times
seem to be normal.
Question
Aug 20 2017
03:11:36 AM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
As long as it's normal! I was worried they weren't getting along anymore. I always have more than one pouch. Sometimes they need their own space.
Behavior
Jan 28 2020
09:24:16 AM
BatGirl Glider Visit BatGirl's Photo Album BatGirl's Journal USA 50 Posts
I've got three sleeping 'nests' (pouches?) for my three Sugar Gliders - Piper, Aerrow, and Starling. A cube box nest, an hammock with vine curled in it nest, and this yellow tube-like nest. Most of the time they all use the cube, but sometimes they all use the hammock, or all cram into the small tube. Occasionally each will sleep alone in these three nests - and seem to rotate nests when sleeping alone, or even when they sleep together. Sometimes one will sleep alone while the other two will sleep together - varies a lot.

Piper in tube, Starling in cube, and Aerrow above in hammock

Sometimes when Piper (the mom) goes off on a tear growling and snapping at everything (still a bit protective when in any nest), the other two, dad and daughter, will escape/run out and both go to either separate nests or go to one together... when they sleep separately, it gives me a chance to give one or them a good petting without triggering mom

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders