Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Toy Ideas?
Toy Ideas?
Question
Aug 19 2017
05:42:09 PM
Alright, so my sugar glider is literally uninterested in most of the toys she has.
I got her from a home where she had literally no toys; she had a cup to sleep in, a heating rock, a water bottle, and a food bowl. She's never had any toys and I think the problem is that she doesn't understand them.
She likes straws if I hang them up (she wont play with them if they're in a ball or weaved around the cage bars). She took one monkey from a barrel into her pouch but she won't touch the rest. She likes the barrel, though. I also have a little foraging thing she likes.

Does anyone have any ideas for toys to see if I can get her interested in something?
Question
Aug 19 2017
08:49:42 PM
Anya Starting Member 9 Posts
Try making homeade toys and make sure to treat cups, they love them! As for foraging toys, go to the dollar store, get a basket and find some small plastic toys and put them in there along with a couple of treats! Good luck!
Question
Aug 19 2017
09:49:26 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
Greetings! Not sure how long you have had your sugar glider but congratulations . Sounds like you rescued her from a neglectful situation and she's very fortunate to have you (I'm guessing you feel fortunate to have her as well. They are such a joy)!
As you probably know, heating rocks can be very dangerous. On the other hand, an exercise wheel would be a great addition if you don't already have one.
When I brought my very first glider home, I didn't realize how important toys are for gliders. So the fact that you know this is a great first step! They need that mental and physical stimulation to thrive. Foraging toys are wonderful for gliders, so it's great that you found a good one she likes. Gliders can get their nails caught/snagged on things (including toys with rope) so it's a good idea to keep this in mind when choosing toys, as well as keeping their nails trimmed. I was considering getting a braided rope perch but our exotic vet was concerned and suggested wrapping the perch in 'vet wrap' to protect their delicate feet and nails. No-pill fleece is a safe option for toys, pouches, and hammocks.
My little ones all time favorite toy is a ball pit, similar to what Anya described. They can be purchased online but can also be easily made by filling a small container with pom poms, ping pong size balls, and other glider safe toys. It's easy to customize it to what your glider likes, as well as changing it out from time to time to keep their interest. Other popular toys are plastic bracelets, and those rings that are on plastic milk and water jugs. However, I recently learned that the rings should be cut (if not already split) so they can't get stuck in them. Toys made for small birds are also generally safe and fun for them. I found a very cute tiny tennis shoe at a bird store and my glider really enjoys playing with the shoe lace (apparently they're very good at untying knots. But you have to be careful if the toy gets damaged (I had to remove her favorite rubber ducky for this reason).
My absolute favorite toy for her is actually a cat toy (NO catnip). It's a long strip of fleece on one of those wands and she loves to chase it during tent time.
Of course the very best "toys" of all are your love and time. Enjoy your precious glider!
Toy Ideas?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Toy Ideas?