Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
New sugar glider, im not happy with what we chose for diet
Food, Diet
Aug 25 2017
05:05:28 PM
Hi, my husband and I just got a sugar glider , he is about 9 weeks old. My husband did the research on what to feed him and came up with pocket pets, there was some doctor on YouTube that he got most of the information from. anyway as I've been reading on here I feel bad we have been feeding the little guy this awful stuff. thankfully we have only had him 10 days eating this but I want to fix it ASAP but it is so hard to figure out what is right. The Internet is quite confusing and conflicting in finding a specific guide on what to do.

If some one would be so kind as to tell me exactly what you feed your sugar gliders that would be awesome.

I don't care what I have to do, make, or buy I will do whatever is best. I just can't figure that out on my own lol

I want to know what I need, what/how to make, a link if I need to buy something. Also when/ how you feed your gliders.

He currently is eating glider chow, glidamins every other day. Either 1 1/2 small grapes or some apple pieces each day.

In about 4 weeks we will be getting an 8 week old glider as well so we will have 2 males and 8 week old and a 16 week old. Do I need to have separate diets for each or can they both eat the same thing?

Thank you so much I know this is quite the request for information I just don't want to mess this up, I never thought I would love an animal so much he is such a sweet little guy :)

Food, Diet
Aug 25 2017
06:50:39 PM
sahana.kargi Joey Visit sahana.kargi's Photo Album 37 Posts
I'm not an expert and am actually quite new, but I thought I would hate from what I understood so for. Sugar gliders need three main parts in their diet
Staple diet
Fresh fruits and veggies
Protein
The staple diet is what you might be hearing people refer to as HPW or BLM. Those are the two main diets. There is one type of BML diet and I haven't seen any instant versions. The diet has lots of ingredients you can usually find in the baby section on a super market. Some of the ingredients are baby oatmeal, apple juice, eggs, baby food and a few others. You can go on google and find the full recipe. There are also two supplements or vitamins you need to purchase for it, they are the most expensive, about 10 dollars a peice, but the boxes will last you a long time. I like the BML because it's not too expensive, and the ingredients are easily accessible. The only thing is I have never been able to find the vitamins in store but I know other have. I just ft mine from amazon.
Another really good diet is the HPW. You will find a lot of versions of these. There are lots of instant mixes which are okay. If you want an instant mix, the exotic nutrition one is okay. It's what I am using currently, but a lot of gliders who eat it tend to have calcium deficiencies so be sure to feed veggies high in calcium or use supplements. It's really easy as you just mix it with water. Some people will also use cranberry juice or apple juice though. If you want the best HPW, get the O-HPW diet which has also been renamed critter love. I haven't toed it personally but have heard great hints about it. The staple diet should make up about 40 percent of their diet and you need to feed this everyday.
They also need fresh fruits and veggies. Just feed a variety. I cut a bunch st the beginning of the week and use it throughout. I personally vary my veggies and fruits, but I use raspberries, strawberrie, blackberries, blue berries, spinach, kale, banana, watermelon, kiwi. Personally, I just google before I cut the veggies to see if it's safe and then quickly check the calcium phosphorus ratio. I have heard an ideal ratio is 2:1. Fresh foods should make up 60 percent of their diet and feed it everyday.
They also need protein. I feed plain boiled chicken or turkey or scrambled eggs. You can also feed insects like roaches and meal worms as well. I feed Oregon about once a week but you could do it more often.
Like I said, I'm New myself and this information is all from what I have understood through research. You could check the forum to see if there is any other info.
Good luck:) I just thought I would share what I knew
Food, Diet
Aug 25 2017
06:53:40 PM
sahana.kargi Joey Visit sahana.kargi's Photo Album 37 Posts
Also, I forgot to add, you can also feed fresh nectar. Also, i think it's good to leave pellets in their cage during the day, but I know they are really controversial. I think it's good incase the glider gets hungry and wants a snack:) I use the vitasmart pellets as that is what my breeder used but I am planning to switch to he exotic nutrition ones as they are much better. I will add though that my glider barely touches his pellets so I would say they are needed.
Food, Diet
Aug 26 2017
01:23:45 AM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
Don't use pellets especially exotic nutrition. They turned my gliders brown. Once I took them off the pellets they began to grey again.
Food, Diet
Aug 27 2017
04:20:42 PM
ptamom Glider Visit ptamom's Photo Album 145 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by lilsistar

Don't use pellets especially exotic nutrition. They turned my gliders brown. Once I took them off the pellets they began to grey again.

Wow, thanks for the info as I just bought some from Exotic Nutrition. I have noticed that they don't eat it much.

What brand would you recommend?
Food, Diet
Aug 27 2017
08:55:18 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Just go ahead and use what you bought already if they eat it, but here is a more widely used pellet (by those who do offer them, including me).

Pet Pro Happy Glider

I personally purchase the fruity flavor, all three of my gliders like it. They do have a trial variety pack to sample various flavors.

Pellets are usually or should be anyway, offered as either a snack or side. I like to use them in my gliders forage toys, as they do enjoy them and they don't spoil as quickly as fresh treats. My gliders are picky when it comes to treats, and I try to offer the most nutritious types of treats as possible, so pellets work for me and them in this manner. Some may offer in small dishes for daytime snack option.

The two main staples mentioned BML and HPW are the most widely used, however the true HPW diets are now referred to as Critter Love diets. It is strongly recommended to source the information on these diets from creators original websites. I do not know BML, but Critter Love can be found below.
Critter Love

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders