Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
At what age do you (if you) feed live insects ie.. roaches,cricket
Food, Diet
Aug 27 2017
05:50:37 PM
My reptile place told me that sugar gliders can eat crickets, roaches, and pinkies? Is this true? At what age would you start feeding them as I was thinking of using this as a bonding method (in tent/pouch)
Food, Diet
Aug 27 2017
07:14:39 PM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
I've only feed them dead meal worms and the occasional live super worms. As long as they can eat by themselves they can eat these. I find young gliders won't eat live super worms until the parents show them how it's done. Super worms are fatty so it should be very rare.

Not sure about the others because I never feed them those.
Food, Diet
Aug 27 2017
07:44:25 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
it's true yes, however there is more info you should know before making a decision on feeding crickets.

Crickets can carry aflatoxins which are deadly to gliders. So IF you chose to feed them make sure who ever the vendor is that raised the crickets is using non corn based bedding/feed. The aflatoxins come from corn based bedding and feed as well as peanuts, it's a mold.

The pet store may not be who raised them so make sure to get the cricket farm vendors info so they can answer what bedding they use.

at what age? depends on the glider. I have had joeys younger than 12 weeks start liking mealies they clean up what ever the parents drop. Other gliders wouldn't touch them till they were 6 months old.

you can try cutting mealies and superworms in half to get them interested in them.

I've never fed pinkies or roaches or crickets ( crickets for the reason above )

but from what I've heard they love pinkies, to me chicken is easier and not as gross
Food, Diet
Aug 27 2017
08:10:03 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
ps you can't get the roaches in some states. It's illegal in fla even if you try to order from an out of state vendor they will not ship them.
Food, Diet
Aug 27 2017
10:02:08 PM
Effsan Glider Visit Effsan's Photo Album 64 Posts
I started feeding them mealies after 6 months. Mealies are their favorite treats. I give them only during nail clipping time (once a week or once every 2 weeks. I buy live meal worms and freeze them in air tight container in the freezer. So that they're not wriggly and smelly and still contain the juicy parts my gliders love.

I started feeding dubia roaches because our vet told us it's good for cleaning their teeth. I farm my own dubia roaches. They eat oats. Very healthy and clean roaches. Though I still can't get myself to handle them. That's my husband's responsibilities 2-3 nymph dubia roaches once a week.
Question
Aug 28 2017
10:29:07 PM
ptamom Glider Visit ptamom's Photo Album 145 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I am lucky that I have a reptile place that I am able to go by pinkies, dubia roaches, crickets, and meal worms relatively easy. I haven't feed crickets to my dragon for the reason Leela stated.

I have another question pertaining to this topic. If gliders have to forage in the wild for their food and I have red worms that I bought from a farm that I have fed to my dragon, would I be able to put the worms w/ soil in a small container for them to forage?

To my knowledge the soil should be good with no pesticides involved.

Thanks again.
Food, Diet
Sep 05 2017
04:49:29 PM
Jennfaith Joey Visit Jennfaith's Photo Album USA 16 Posts
The Nymph Dubia roaches#128513; All of my Gliders love them especially if I flip the roaches on their backs. I think it's gross but I can handle them.. especially the little ones. If it's over a certain size they won't go near them. Crickets the Gliders all love to hunt them down. The mealworms get gobbled they even double fist them.
Food, Diet
Sep 06 2017
05:01:25 PM
Thanks.

I watched a video of them eating a cockroach and kept thinking "man, when is this creature going to die"

I feed cockroaches to my water dragon and have a container for them but the crickets would escape my cage.

Thanks for the help.
Food, Diet
Sep 06 2017
08:59:51 PM
Effsan Glider Visit Effsan's Photo Album 64 Posts
By the way, wanna add on that my vet commented that if I feed life insects, then it's advisable to get the gliders dewormed once every 3-6 months.
Food, Diet
Sep 07 2017
11:13:21 AM
Thank you

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders