Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Help with terrified new glider
Question
Sep 01 2017
01:29:51 PM
So to start off with, I am technically a new owner, but not new to sugar gliders. I had a roommate that had 7, I also dated and lived with a woman with multiple gliders and helped to take care of hers. I've always loved them and have done years of research on them before recently deciding to get one for myself. I was looking on Craigslist and I saw a 1 year old boy who didn't seem to be taken care of very well. His cage was small and dirty, he was dirty, no toys. I decided I had to get him home. He has been amazing, bonded to me quick, loves me. He is a little depressed from being alone, so I decided to get him a friend. I found an 8 week old female from a breeder and I went and got her.

Here is where my problem is coming in. She is absolutely terrified of me. Crabs non stop if I so much as talk to her. Lunges and tries to attach me through her pouch. I knew I had my work cut out for me, but it's been a week now and she is no better. If she is out of her pouch and I walk in the room she will freeze in fear, and if I move or anything she will start bouncing around the cage crabbing. I'm not sure what else to do. I don't want this poor baby to live in constant fear.

Any advice?
Question
Sep 01 2017
04:59:32 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
TIME and more TIME.

A few modes of our gliders.
1. crabs like crazy and tries to bite.
2. crabs like crazy but less likely to bite, still lunges at treat and bites.
3. crabs like crazy but with careful movement can get behind the head and give them a pet without being bit, but don't try to pick up.
Notice how the first 3 are all crabbing like crazy.

Later on some stop crabbing while we have others that still crab until they see you from in the pouch.
We have some that have stopped crabbing all together.

I would suggest BOTH in bonding pouch, and BOTH in playroom. In playroom you dont need to do anything but sit and watch, let her sniff your scent.
also put your scent on small fleece and put in pouch for her to sleep with.

of course you should give it a few MONTHS or more.
Question
Sep 01 2017
08:25:00 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
Congratulations on your new babies! . Such an exiting time! I'm so glad you rescued this little boy from what sounds like a neglectful environment and now you have a little girl to add to your joy. You sound very caring and committed to them.

I understand your concern about your newest glider, and I totally agree that it really does take time! And patience. And more time. I've only had 2 gliders but I can tell you that like people, no two are alike (as you know). When I brought my first one home, I fell instantly in love with her. But the feeling was definitely not mutual. Like your female, she crabbed, lunged, and tried to attack. I felt like she hated me and I honestly thought I wasn't the right fit for her. While it broke my heart, I considered rehoming her because I thought she would be happier with someone else. Fortunately (thank God!), I did some research and found out that many people go through this same experience. Some have even said they felt like they got a 'bad' or 'evil' glider, based on their behavior. Now I know that nothing could be further from the truth. They are simply terrified and it takes time to gain their trust. What worked for me was what BYK_Chainsaw recommended...I used fleece to get her used to my scent and carried my little one in a bonding pouch as much as possible. Playtime (either in a glider proof room or tent) has helped a lot. As well as offering treats so they associate your hands with something positive. Over time, she went from being so fearful and running away from me to actually chasing after me through the house because she wanted to be with me. She became such a little snuggle bug and to this day I'm amazed that things could change so dramatically (although I now miss her crabbing ).

My newest glider has taken longer to bond but one thing I've learned is to celebrate all successes and progress, big and small. These little creatures are vulnerable and scared, being taken away from their parents, homes, and everything they've known. Some adapt very quickly, while others take awhile. Sometimes they need to be left alone for a little bit so they can get used to their surroundings before being handled. I have found myself making comparisons, either between gliders or comparing myself to other 'parents' who have bonded more quickly than I have. But that doesn't serve any purpose and ultimately we do the best we can and are constantly learning. It's obvious how much you love your gliders. With that love, commitment, time, and patience, I'm sure you will have many years of happiness together. Enjoy!
Question
Sep 01 2017
08:36:42 PM
VebraVome Starting Member 3 Posts

Thanks guys. I definitely don't think I got a bad or evil glider. The poor baby is just terrified and I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing more harm than good. I hold her in her bonding pouch as much as possible. It helps that I work from home so I have more time to dedicate to her. I did order a tent and started that process as well. I didn't need a tent for my boy as he bonded pretty quick to me and I can get him out of the cage and play with him and he stays close to me. I'm sure, or at least hoping it's because he recognized I'm giving him a better life, and besides some of the depression signs he does seem a lot happier. I will continue working on the girl and not give up on her.
Question
Sep 03 2017
02:24:38 AM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
Try finding a treat she likes. Mine like yogurt drops and mealworms. At night offer her those treats. She'll begin to associate you with the treats.

If you have a hard time with her crabbing and being in a pouch you can try putting her in your shirt. You might want to be in a safe place if you do this so of she escapes then she'll be safe. That's how I've bonded with my monster. I find it helps the bonding process go faster. I wouldn't recommend doing it if you think you'll lose her.

I did notice you now have a male and female. If you haven't done so already, I would recommend you neutering him. I've had joeys and it's a pain in the butt! They usually have a batch every six months. Sorry that was off topic.
Question
Sep 03 2017
09:12:30 AM
VebraVome Starting Member 3 Posts
I have successfully the last two nights gotten her to lick honey out of a honey stick that I'm holding. So it's a start. I don't think she's quite ready for the shirt because she will try to run. I have an appointment in a couple weeks to get the male neutered. In the mean time they are in separate cages and I'm doing the pouch swapping. He's gotten better with it. On night one he would attack anything that smelled like her. Now he prefers to sleep in her pouch.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders