Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Habitat
Habitat
Question
Sep 04 2017
12:42:31 AM
My girlfriend and I are seriously considering getting a pair of sugar gliders. We want to build an enclosure for them to stay in while we are at work. We want it to be pimp. The enclosure will be 4 feet wide and deep and between 6 and 8 feet high. I was thinking the back wall would be plywood and I would spray Great Stuff expanding foam onto the plywood. Once the foam dries, I would coat it in black silicone, and then press coconut fiber onto the silicone. I could make little caves and ledges, and also attach pieces of driftwood to make little branches for them to run out on. I got the idea from making vivariums for dart frogs. Anyway, my question is, will they try to tear the nice little background up? Do you think they would appreciate having that sort of background, or should I just go with hanging leather bags all over the place?
Question
Sep 04 2017
04:00:41 AM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
I'm no expert on making cages or knowing what's safe to use when making a cage.

I know mine like to chew wood. There is a chance that yours will chew the wood they come into contact with. Also wood tends to absorb urine and the smells. It's best to keep wood items to a minimum or at least make sure all of it can be removed and cleaned.

I've never heard of anyone using leather bags for sugar gliders. People usually use fleece pouches. Some will use nesting boxes.

I think it's really cool that you're trying to make a pimping cage, but be careful about the materials you use. Certain materials can be toxic to the glider. I have no idea what materials and stuff so I can't be of help with that. Best of luck!
Question
Sep 05 2017
03:05:58 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I understand what you're wanting to create this naturalistic environment for your sugar glider. I had reptiles at one time also, and I loved the way natural environments looked, though was always cautions about what's safe for particular species. They're all so different and what's safe for one isn't safe for another.

From what we know of sugar gliders, I would take special care to research carefully the materials you are planning on using and make adjustments and substitutions as needed for their specific care requirements and hazards.

One place to start would be research safe woods for sugar gliders. As for the other materials, maybe see if you can research what is used in constructing a habitat for sugar gliders that are kept in a zoo perhaps.

The size of your planned habitat sounds very nice and generous, I'm just sure you want to make sure you know what's safe and what's harmful to these wonderful creatures.

Wish I could be more help, and please let us know what you come up with.
Habitat

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Habitat