Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Help! Glider not acting normal. I'm worried
Health related
Sep 04 2017
03:58:30 AM
My baby Clover was suddenly acting lethargic and wobbly.
I put her food in her cage after I got ready for bed, and I checked on her in her pouch. To my horror, she wouldn't move and I was panicking. Thankfully, I moved her around a bit and she finally began to stir, but when she woke up, she hardly moved. She looked at me and she was squinting. I had to lure her with a meal worm. When I had gotten her to the bottom of the cage, she was walking like a drunk person, wobbling and sometimes falling over. If I didn't interact with her, she would sit there and seem to start falling asleep.
I took her to the emergency vet nearby (around 3 am) and the vet said that as far as he could tell, she seemed to be dehydrated and told me I should start giving her some more fruits. He gave her some fluids and told me to take her to another vet if she still seemed lethargic.
What could be wrong with her? At this point (5 am) she has now very slightly perked up and has eaten her main food, but won't touch the banana slices I gave her. She's still falling asleep when standing still, and I'm very concerned.
Her cage-mate recently died, so could she be depressed? They fought over food a lot, he would always chase her away, crabbing and hissing even if there was nothing in the bowl, so I'm not sure if she was really bonded to him anymore.
Anyone have any idea what's wrong with her? What should I do in the meantime? I would have her out in her bonding pouch right now, but it's 5 in the morning. I'm worried about her constantly dozing off.
Health related
Sep 04 2017
04:10:44 AM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
I'm sorry this is happening. I really hope that she'll be fine. I'm no expert, but I do think you deserve a response.

I think you should do what the vet told you to do tonight and tomorrow get her to another vet for a second opinion. Usually vets make a diagnosis based on past knowledge and experience so there is a chance that there is more going on that this vet doesn't know about. That's why it would be good for you to get a second opinion.

Hopefully someone will comment tomorrow who is more knowledgeable on the subject. I'm sorry this is happening. I hope everything will turn out fine. Please keep us updated.
Health related
Sep 04 2017
04:17:12 AM
Cottonflower2 Joey 21 Posts
Thank you for you concern. She is currently drinking a bit more and grooming herself, which I'm very happy about. Hopefully she'll get on her wheel once I shut the lights off and go to bed like usual.
I'll try to remember to give an update tomorrow. Good night (depending on your timezone)!
Health related
Sep 04 2017
01:36:50 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
She might have been dehydrated, but dehydration is usually already caused by something else (unless her water supply was accidentaly empty), so I'd advise to have her seen by a vet knowledgeable with gliders and maybe to have some test done to see if she doesnt have parasites or underlying infection.
what was the temperature in her room, it can be harder for lone gliders to maintain a good body temperature if the room is too cold.
Health related
Sep 04 2017
09:38:03 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
So sorry about the loss of your other glider! So hard to go through that and I certainly understand your concern with Clover. I agree with what was previously mentioned, I would definitely get a second opinion from preferably an exotic vet familiar with sugar gliders. It could be dehydration, in which case making sure she's getting enough water, fruits, and vegetables should take care of it. Does she drink out of a water bottle? If so, it's important to make sure it's full and isn't clogged (I'm going to post a separate message about this shortly). It's understandable if she's depressed after losing her mate. But it's best to get a professional opinion based on her health and your observations. I think a complete wellness exam would be wise, especially since her cage-mate recently died and the way she's been acting. I went through something similar with my first glider and it turned out to be a calcium deficiency (additional supplements took care of it right away). With my second glider she turned out to have parasites...intimidating at first but also easily corrected with a course of antibiotics. Sounds like you're doing a really good job of taking care of her, spending time with her, and being vigilant. Wishing you all the best and please keep us posted.
Health related
Sep 04 2017
10:10:01 PM
Clover has now perked up quite a bit. She's coming out of her hammock for food, and she's walking normally, drinking normally. She's currently eating her dinner now as I'm typing. I'm not sure if she was running on her wheel when I turned the lights off when I went to bed, 'cause I was out cold as soon as I got into bed. Hopefully I'll hear her running on it tonight.
I took her out in the bonding pouch this afternoon and she was fine then as well.
She's been acting completely normal today, so should I still take her to the vet? As thankful as I am that her bill at the other vet was only 95, I would still hate to spend more money for a checkup, especially if she turns out to be completely fine. Of course though, I will do what seems best for my baby
Health related
Sep 04 2017
10:29:41 PM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
I know the feeling of not wanting to spend the money. I would still personally get her checked just to make sure she has no deficiencies or parasites that may have cause the dehydration.

Also make sure she actually knows how to drink out of the water bottle. When my brother first got his gliders he had to teach them how to drink out of the bottle. I know glider parents will teach the joey how to do it only if the parents themselves know.

Health related
Sep 05 2017
11:10:44 AM
Yep, she knows how to drink from the bottle. When we got back from the vet I had made sure that the water was coming out when she drank from it, and she's been drinking just fine now.
I have noticed that she stopped barking. The past few days before we took her to the vet, she had been hiss-barking every night. I thought she could have been confused and calling for her cage-mate, unaware that he passed. Now she hasn't been barking like that anymore. Should I be concerned about that?
Also, I've decided that I do want to take her to the vet for a checkup because of the fact that she hasn't been on her wheel. She used to run on that thing pretty much all night, and now I've only heard her on it very few times for a few seconds
Health related
Sep 05 2017
02:56:41 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Please keep us posted on your little one after returning from vet. After reading your last post I can't help but wonder if she has a UTI or something. Please check and make sure she is urinating.

Edited by - TJones09 on Sep 05 2017 02:57:22 PM
Health related
Sep 05 2017
04:32:23 PM
I try to make sure she urinates in her cage before I let her in the bonding pouch. Yesterday she did, but I just took her out about 10 min ago and she only pooped. She might've already urinated, but I will keep checking.
What makes it seem that she might have UTI?
Health related
Sep 05 2017
07:49:30 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I've never had personal experience with it, but you had mentioned that she would his/bark, and then she was dehydrated, so it made me wonder, that's all, I'm not an expert and just speculating. I would just let a vet with experience with sugar gliders to examine her and make sure you fill in all the details of what you noticed behavior wise, since you first noticed a difference.
Health related
Sep 06 2017
12:25:01 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
hiss bark is also a call to other gliders, I heard it often when I had to isolate some of mines.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders