Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Toys in cage for IP glider moms
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Sep 04 2017
09:05:42 AM
I was told to not have any toys in the cage for my breeding trio with both females with babies IP. I want them to get enough exercise but was told it was unsafe until after the babies are OOP and safe on their own. Want to make sure I do the right thing!
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Sep 04 2017
09:44:03 PM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
I have never heard that before. I've had multiple joeys and kept all toys in the cage. Nothing bad every happened Toys are very important for the gliders. I would think it would cause more harm than good taking it out.

Of course I could be wrong and been doing it wrong myself.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Oct 16 2017
10:47:36 PM
Jennfaith Joey Visit Jennfaith's Photo Album USA 16 Posts
I've always been told to keep the cage the way is was before.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Oct 16 2017
11:40:14 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
For the most part I kept my cage the same, I did however remove toys with smaller holes in them that joeys could get through but older bigger gliders can't. Mainly they were toddler floor toys. I kept hanging toys and the wheel and floor toys with holes no smaller than 2 inches.

Even with the best prevention joeys can't get through spaces you wouldn't believe. I took the fleece off the cage i was using as a cage cover... my last joey discovered a bar spacing difference on the brisbane cage which I was aware of but never had any issues with before her. She got out 3 times in less than 5 minutes.

They were all put in a temp cage until we secured all the corners. Once they know of a breach in security they will keep trying to use it and we were worried that as she grew she'd eventually get stuck between the bars. All brisbane cages have this issue the spacing is different between the frame and the first verticle bar on both sides of each panel than the rest of the bars. My joey is about 2 and a half months old the escape was about a week ago. The gap is only big enough that up to my first knuckle my finger can go through. The other bars about half that length of my finger can go through.

It's not a huge difference but it's enough that joeys can and will get out. So if they can get through that small of a space any toy with a hole that size they can get through too.

Edited by - Leela on Oct 16 2017 11:43:43 PM

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders