Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Marijuana toxicity
Marijuana toxicity
Health related
Sep 06 2017
12:37:49 PM
I made a post yesterday about my baby girl being diagnosed with untreatable cancer, and I have been looking into cannabis oil treatment (particularly 1:1 thc/cbd in coconut oil)
In my search I have stumbled upon maybe 2 forum posts vaguely stating that all parts of marijuana are toxic to gliders.
There were no citations for information regarding this and literally nothing else about it online.

Is marijuana actually toxic, are are these people/person just being closed-minded?
If it is actually toxic, where are people finding this information?
Health related
Sep 06 2017
01:19:43 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
it's really difficult to know with gliders, many things which are not toxic to other animals are toxic to gliders (leek, garlic, onions, catnip...) and some things toxic to others are not toxic to gliders...
Marijuna is actually toxic for humans too, that's why it has a medicinal activity, the lethal dose for humans is just really high ( but it more toxic to cats and rabbits at smaller doses), so it wouldnt surprise me if it were toxic to gliders, especially as oil which is concentrated (an average glider weights 100 grams... so the dangerous dose would be easy to reach), I don't know if tests have been done though (even eucalyptus oil can be toxic to gliders...)

Edited by - sjusovare on Sep 06 2017 01:30:53 PM
Health related
Sep 07 2017
07:51:10 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
I've wondered if it could be beneficial to gliders with seizures, environmental seizures particularly.

A friend of mine knows someone who has been successfully treating a bird with it for a different medical issue, I can't remember what it is off the top of my head. But she's had pretty good success with it.

Typically if it's toxic to birds it's toxic to gliders, so a few of us are wondering about it's usage with gliders.

However like Sj said oils are concentrated sometimes more than 25 x the potency of the actual plant, so dosage and dilution would most likely be needed.

Health related
Sep 09 2017
01:53:08 AM
Violentte Joey Canada 16 Posts
So my calculations for Astrids weight say her dose of 4:1 CBD/THC oil is 0.16mg.
I diluted it into coconut oil and am starting her on 0.1mg (1 drop of dilution) twice per day to ease her into it. She seemed to not mind the first dose.

I have a pretty good feeling about this potential treatment. Other than cbd, chemo and mistletoe treatments have been recommended. Chemo for something this small has a huge risk of either being too much and killing her, or being too little and not working, all while giving her some nasty side-effects...

So i will be contacting my vet to inquire about mistletoe and its properties, all while continuing this cbd treatment.
I think its her best chance, and at the very least might ease her suffering.
Health related
Jan 07 2023
05:06:17 AM
ZooVeteran Joey 12 Posts
hello, any update about the CBD treatment ? did it help ?
Thank you.
Marijuana toxicity

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Marijuana toxicity