Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
HELP! advice on introducing sugar gliders?
Question
Sep 08 2017
04:58:14 PM
So i just got my female leucistic glider(shes 9 weeks old) a week ago and shes great! Shes already grooming me and letting my touch her occasionally. She also seems very intrested in my dog (i dont let them near eachother but she sniffed him and keeps looking for him even when hes not in sight) so i decided to get her a buddy however its a boy (8 weeks old) and im scared because i dont want to neuter him yet since i want joeys! But i domt want joeys yet so i was wondering when do they reach sexual maturity? How long should they be apart? Will they fight? I see that boys get along better with girls! I have 2 cages at the moment
Question
Sep 09 2017
01:29:27 AM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
I think males are usually sexually mature around 8 months. You can tell when they are going through puberty when the bald spots forms. From my understanding females are sexually mature later in life. I think around a year old. Might want to fact check me on that.

Will they fight? That depends on the gliders themselves. Some gliders get along fast, other don't. In some cases they never get along. Males and females tend to get along pretty well. Females tend to get along pretty well.I personally find female pairs to be easier to take care of. Two males tend to have a few more problems because they can get territorial and dominate. But all in all it really just depends on the gliders' personalities.

I've had Joeys and they are a lot of work and can cause lots of heart ache. I wasn't the one to buy any of the gliders; if I was I would never have gotten the male. Makes life and sugar glider owning complicated. They have one or two joeys about every six months which adds up quickly. In the two years since we got the male I've had nine gliders. We started with three (two females one male). I've since neutered all of my gliders because of it. I currently have seven and I don't want to add to that anymore. (Two did pass away)

I just wanted to let you know a bit about the hardships of breeding. I wish someone told my brother about it before he received the male so he could have planned accordingly.
Question
Sep 09 2017
10:38:25 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I found your questions vague and confusing.

will they fight? Once properly introduced they should not fight, maybe some small squabbles but no fight, or they should be separated.
I think you should do a lot more reading and learning before you start breading.
How long should they be apart? when? for what? Once introduced they stay together forever as long as they don't fight.
We started with 2 boys, they were great together. We added girls and more boys, they mostly get along great.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders