GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Is something wrong with him?
Health related
Sep 09 2017
05:50:02 PM
Hi!
This thread will start out with a very strange question. Can sugar gliders have anxiety? I have two suggies, one that I have had for at least 4 years, and the other I have had for nearly three years.now, when ever there's a loud noise / disturbance, the "newer" one always comes out of his sleeping pouch, and either starts running on his wheel extremely fast, or clings to the side of the cage or pouch and stays there for a WHILE. Like, my dog was just in my room, and now he's just siting on his wheel, barely moving. Just a second ago he was running SUPER fast. And if I let one sleep on me, I have to leave him in the cage because he doesn't stay on me and he dispises the bonding pouch.Anyway, when I have to do this usauly he just clings to the side of the cage and doesn't move for at least ten minutes sometimes longer. I didn't really know where to post this, I just thought I'd get some opinions:) so yeah is he just anxious or something?Is something wrong?
Health related
Sep 09 2017
11:22:39 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I think gliders natural instincts is to be very jumpy. After all in the wild they are just a moment away from being dinner for a snake or a bird. One of the reasons they only live 5 to 6 years in the wild.
We have one female that is very sweet and bonded and nice, after we hold her for awhile and put her back in cage, she will sit there frozen in the same spot sometimes for 20 minutes before she goes back to pouch or moves at all.
we had a female in a cage by herself for awhile, she would run on the wheel then sit in the bottom and look around, run some then sit for 10 minutes or more just looking around the room.
some of our gliders don't like the bonding pouch, think if I put more then one in it she would do better.
We have Gus, who will be on my shoulder or arms but is CONSTANTLY looking around for a place to jump and go off and explore, he is super friendly NEVER BITES, but unlike sophie and gizmo who will stay with us during the day, he will day or night want to run around and explore.
If your glider is a healthy weight and eats good, the vet says he's fine then I think your probably ok.
Health related
Sep 10 2017
06:52:00 AM
Glidingcameron Glider Visit Glidingcameron's Photo Album 128 Posts
Health related
Sep 10 2017
01:05:34 PM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
My glider is like that. I would hold her in a safe area during the day and not move around. She began to associate me with safety so she no longer runs do to noises.

In her cage she will still leave her bag and hide behind the wheel for a half hour. She usually does it when she hears bags or papers crinkle. That noise really freaks her out.

I think it's normal and nothing to worry about. I always assumed it was a natural instinct because they are prey animals.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders