Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Potential New Owner Here
Potential New Owner Here
Question
Sep 10 2017
02:12:34 AM
I have been extensively looking over your site for several days, your wealth of information is truly priceless!, what a wonderful unbiased resource, I thank you for it.
If my home/lifestyle is compatible I would love to have pair suggies, but I would like to tell you all a bit about my home/lifestyle to see if you all think a suggie would be a happy companion for me.

I'm 27, my mother and I live together (I have a heart related disability before you judge haha), she is a nurse and works from home, while she doesn't have a huge interest in these furry cuties, she is more than happy to welcome them into our home and support as needed (I'll have a pouch around her neck in no time) It is only the 2 of us with no small children. We do however have several cats and a few birds, we have dogs as well but they would have very little if any contact with them. My biggest concern is the cats, I haven't been able to find a whole lot of info on this mix. My cats are very tolerant and don't pester things (they leave the birds, (2 parrotlets and a cockatiel) alone entirely.

I'm an artist and make jewelry, so also am home all the time, part of my disable causes insomnia. I sleep much better during the day and thankfully my craft allows me to work whenever. I know they are nocturnal, and for all intents and purposes, so am I. I also didn't know how that would jive with their own schedules.
We are homebodies and rarely vacation taking an odd day trip here or there, and have an excellent sitter who I contacted recently to asked if she had cared for suggie she had and was comfortable with them.
It is very important to me that I do this 'right', our animals are family and are very dear to us. As much as I want them, I understand if my home is not ideal, the happiness of our fur buddies is paramount and I won't put one in an environment it would not thrive in.
I thank you very very kindly if you made it through this, questions are the cat concern and the compatibility, any feedback would be greatly appreciated :)
Question
Sep 10 2017
12:57:28 PM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
Sugar gliders do require LOTS of time and socialization. You being a home body works great for that. It also helps you sleep during the day and are awake at night. Once they become bonded you might be able to take naps with them (depends if you roll around a lot) and at night play with them.

The thing I am worried about are your other animals. You might find that adding sugar gliders will cause you to feel overwhelmed. You might find that because you have to split your responsibility over multiple animals that you can't give these animals all the time they need. On the other hand you might be able to work then in your schedule and have no problem.

I'm also worried about the cats. I knew someone who had a cat that "wasn't interested in living things." She lied to herself, the cat killed the glider. That's a risk you would be taking by having gliders. There are people who own both and have made it work. I don't personally know any of them. I also don't own a cat so I don't know a thing about them.

If you're willing to take the risk with the cats and make time for them, I don't see why you can't own a pair. You just have to know your limits. I would recommend doing more research to know for sure that they are the ones for you. If you do get a pair I recommend two females. Males require neutering.
Question
Nov 05 2017
10:40:07 AM
Coral and Sparky Joey 19 Posts
The cats is a tough one. I have a cat that absolutely loves eating squirrels and birds he catches. He is very fast and does it often. However, he is deathly afraid of these TINY versions of squirrels because of their claws and has no interest whatsoever in them. If you had an extra room or available room with a door that closed properly, you could always house the glider higher off the ground with no way up and the door closed. However it really depends on what kind of cat it is and her information above is really good. Wish you luck!
Potential New Owner Here

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Potential New Owner Here