Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Perspective sugar glider owner with several questions
Question
Sep 13 2017
10:23:43 AM
I saw a booth from pocket pets at a comic Con and I became immediately interested in sugar gliders. Thankfully I am the type of person to never impulse buy when it comes to an actual animal, unless it is in need of help and then I'm toast... So I began researching and have realized that pocket pets is total crap and to instead find a local breeder, however everything that I have read doesn't sound horrible to me and the results of have a sugar glider as a committed friend and companion still outweighs the annoyances. But still I have questions before I put a life in danger of neglect or stress by having to relocate

First I understand that sugar gliders diets are varied and require fresh and varied fruits insects and other sources. So on average how much am I looking at a month on spending this is. I eat lots of fruits and veggies already so adding an extra apple or so a week to my shopping isnt horrible. But I've never had an animal who ate bugs, at least ones I actually have to buy

My boyfriend and I are huge dog people and can't live without them. So I am wondering are you able to have sugar gliders befriend dogs? I know a dog who has been chasing after small rodents it's whole life is unlikely to befriend a rodent size creature without intense training. (P.s. I know sugar gliders are marsupial and not rodents but they are about the same size and my previous dogs wouldn't have cared for the distinction). So this is more in terms with a puppy who I can train that glider is friend and not food/ toy and either way my glider wouldn't be out and about unsupervised anyways.

Also I have seen that gliders eating only pellets is a no go, but as a treat/ supplement can I buy some of the pocket pets food to help supplement the diet by way of treats so that way it's very varied?

Thank you all for your response and helping me decide if I really can enjoy the company and loyalty/ friendship of a sugar glider!!

Also I have had a wonderful range of pets and honestly the messy bits and smell doesn't really bother me as long as it's not cat urine smell like then I most likely won't be able to handle it

Once the gliders have gotten used to me and my boyfriend are they good at interacting with other humans or is it more of a situation where people are over and move the gliders to the other room. And I know with this question and the one about the dogs it all varied on the traits and temperments of each respective party and how they react that will create a happy situation or a nightmare. Still using the general knowledge you have of you could help point me in the right direction. I just want to make sure my boyfriend and I are happy along with any animals that are in the house with us are safe and happy with their home, that is the most important to me

Also with the exception of cousins who I never see I am a 20 something so young children are not an issue

I am also aware of the issues of finding a vet that is well versed in glider care, but I am looking at that as a bridge to come to once I know we can handle to glider.

Edited by - Gemmabarnes on Sep 13 2017 10:39:14 AM
Question
Sep 13 2017
02:37:56 PM
BennyNace Glider Visit BennyNace's Photo Album 100 Posts
To answer your first question, cost of food. It depends on which diet you decide to go with. There are many. I myself feed tpg diet, which is relatively inexpensive and easy to make. The food is frozen into ice cube trays. One tray of mush, one tray of veggies, and one tray of fruit.

www.thepetglider.com/pages/the-glider-nutrition-system#recipe

If you go with this diet, follow it to the T. No substitutions. Also, pellets can be given as an addition. I leave pellets in the cage at all times , so that when I take out the leftover food in the morning, they can snack on pellets. They eat meal worms and crickets also but mealies are to be given in moderation.

I would advise being very careful having your suggie around a dog. Even if you trust the dog full hearted, they still have instincts. It's good to have a glider safe room to play in. Gliders can bond to everyone in the family, mine don't care much for Strangers but we don't move their cages when company is over. ( unless there's slot of noise) also, the bigger the cage the better, and also think about buying a companion for the glider
Question
Sep 13 2017
02:51:55 PM
Gemmabarnes Starting Member 2 Posts
Thank you for the response, after initial research I have realized that I will have to be buying two within a short period of time if not at the same time. Which is a burden I will happily take! Lol. I have always had animals in pairs due to being in school and or work and not being able to spend all day with them. With regards to other animals I know going in any interaction will have to be closely monitored I was just afraid it might a situation where the dog and glider will constantly be barking at one another or the scent may cause my dog to act weirdly and vice versa. I know a lot of the behavior is on an animal by animal basis, I just wanted to know species wide similarities so I don't create any undo stress in my home
Question
Sep 14 2017
12:08:11 AM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
Price does depend on diet. In certain diets like hpw they will eat many different kinds of fruits and veggies. I know if I feed my gliders apple everyday I will use one apple in four days and there will always be a veggie and hpw with that. I like to give them a rotation of foods and not the same things everyday. That depends on the specific diets

I have a 10 year old Great Dane and she gets along fine with them. She has never shown any interest in them. I have at one point put on on her back before the glider jumped back to me. It's good to know the dog's personality.

If you do use pellets I wouldn't recommend using ones from exotic nutrition. I used them for a while and my gliders turned brown, when I took them off they began to grey again. Just an observation, you may have a different outcome.

They can get very stinky. Sometimes new foods will cause them to smell worse than usual. Honestly the smell of thier urine kinda smells like a mouses urine to me. At least it does on an average day when they aren't super stinky.

You will have to clean constantly. It doesn't have to be an intents clean, just a spot clean.

I keep my gliders in my room so I never move them. Mine are bonded to me and get along well with other people, including strangers.

If you do get some gliders just know that it's not uncommon for the new glider to be a monster. They are usually scared. It will take lots of time and patience to get the glider to be an ideal pet. Not all gliders come as cute, loveable creatures.
Question
Sep 15 2017
12:17:04 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
But still I have questions before I put a life in danger of neglect or stress by having to relocate Wild glider live half as long as captive gliders, they can suffer from starvation and predators. If you can provide a decent setup, good food, large cage, friendship your glider will live happily twice as long as a wild glider.

DIET PRICE - I use OHPW. If you have 2 gliders. a few bags of frozen veggies is like $2 a bag or $6. these large bags will last 2 gliders atleast a month. a 3 lb bag of apples plus pears plus papaya about $15 will last 2 gliders awhile, we cut up in cubes and freeze. We get beats, kale, watercrest? cut up for maybe 8-10 dollars and again lasts a long time So you are $31 dollars. (so far you are way under my dog food bill for 3 dogs at $35 a bag.)
For OHPW I buy bulk for 12 gliders, this setup would last you over a year in most cases. Wombaroo 1kg - $50 (ALOT of womb.) 1 gallon raw honey $40, container bee pollen $8, and 3 eggs per liter 30 cent? so about $100 for the year. You might need 2 gallons of honey for a year. I mix for 12 gliders so I use lots more honey. I think your cost for 2 gliders would be about $20 a month.
500 mealworms are either $12 at petsmart or $8 at other pet store. with 2 gliders you can get 50/100 live mealworms maybe $4.
dried mealworms, gliders still love these and they last forever almost, kaytee brand large bag like $12 or less. petsmart more expensive.

My dogs are beagle, she would kill if we arent home and gliders get out of cage, and 2 german shepherds this type dog loves to hunt down animals and kill. a few have gotten in our back yard and I was a few seconds to late to save rabbit.
So with my dogs they know gliders off limits, to dangerous even if we are there, one BIG shepherd paw and 1 second would be bad. Whenever a glider starts to jump off me, I look at dog and he goes into the corner.

I buy pet-pro Happy glider cereal, think its the same that pocket pet sells, but MUCH cheaper. I freeze it, put small amount in cage every 3 days change to new, and they eat a few, I have read it is good for teeth cleaning.

Its hard for me to smell the gliders unless I get close to the cage, 2 feet. or if its time for cleaning 3-4 feet away, but only strong close up if needs cleaning.

Sophie was a loving glider the day we picked her up from rehoming, she was not a baby and loves all humans. Gizmo sometimes gives me a small (no blood) nip if I try to take him out of my wife's bra, but will come to me no nips on his own, or from the cage. Gus is like sophie, very friendly. basically, our gliders tend to treat all humans the same, friendly or nervous or scared.
Question
Sep 15 2017
12:30:55 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Gemmabarnes

Thank you for the response, after initial research I have realized that I will have to be buying two within a short period of time if not at the same time. Which is a burden I will happily take! Lol. I have always had animals in pairs due to being in school and or work and not being able to spend all day with them. With regards to other animals I know going in any interaction will have to be closely monitored I was just afraid it might a situation where the dog and glider will constantly be barking at one another or the scent may cause my dog to act weirdly and vice versa. I know a lot of the behavior is on an animal by animal basis, I just wanted to know species wide similarities so I don't create any undo stress in my home

Our dogs don't bark at the gliders, our gliders bark sometimes but not to often, its usually for 3 to 10 minutes then they stop.
If you are willing to be patient, keep an eye out here or craigslist, you can sometimes rescue gliders for free. We rescued 4 for free, and got our last 4 white gliders for $400 total. But 15 was to many, so we carefully found someone with one that wanted a second one, important for gliders, and gave them one free. then we had a close friend that got all the needed supplies, got 4 hours of training on food and care from my wife and we gave her 2. We have one last rescue I want to make friendly ( was in bad situation) and is very scared of humans, so I can give to someone that wants a 2nd one.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders