Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Coloring Questions?
Coloring Questions?
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Sep 14 2017
01:11:05 PM
Sorry for posting b2b new topics, but I've always been curious about sugar glider color and breeding. As I mentioned in my other thread, I plan on doing one round of breeding (for the experience) before neutering my males. Right now, I have 2 white-faced males, one with really light fur (kinda silver) and a pale-ish light black (almost brown) stripe. The other is white faced, slightly darker (but not overly so) with a standard black stripe. The females are both standard grey, and I also have the opportunity to trade one of my joey's for a 10 week OOP caramel male.

Using layman's terms and broad outcomes, what type of coloring could I respect from a standard white face and a standard female? or a caramel and a standard female?

Completely unrelated note; what size cage would you all recommend?
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Sep 15 2017
02:04:10 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
White face + standart will give you either white face offsprings (which is a dominant gene), either standart ones (50/50 chances).

Caramels should not be bred with standart, they are not fully compatible genetically (caramels are in fact a subspecies), and the male offsprings are always sterile (incompatibility of X and Y chromosomes, the females offspings are fertile, however if they are later used for breeding, there is a 50% risk that their male offsprings will have the same issue, with caramel and standart mates alike)

Edited by - sjusovare on Sep 15 2017 02:12:35 PM
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Oct 16 2017
10:52:43 PM
Jennfaith Joey Visit Jennfaith's Photo Album USA 16 Posts
Are you Gliders lineaged? Caramel must be bred with another caramel or else the young will be sterile.
Coloring Questions?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Coloring Questions?