Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Oily fur?
Oily fur?
Health related
Sep 21 2017
11:42:08 PM

One of my gliders has gotten very oily and it smells pretty bad too. It has been like this for months does anyone know what it could mean? I've tried changing around their diets and stuff but it never seems to go away.
Health related
Sep 22 2017
02:48:52 AM
lilsistar Super Glider Visit lilsistar's Photo Album 293 Posts
What's the gender? Males tend to get oily from marking things.

If it is a male, is he neutered? They get less oily when neutered.

How often do you clean the cage? If you are cleaning it regularly he might be on hiper drive trying to remark it causing him to be extremely oily.

What is the diet he is on?
How long has he been on the diet?
How old is he?
What are his cage mates like? Are they oily too?
What does it smell like?
Has it been getting worse or has it been the same for a few months?
Have you tried taking him to a vet?

I'm honestly not really sure why it's so oily. I'm just asking questions to see if maybe someone or you could figure it out. If no one knows then you should go to the vet.
Health related
Sep 23 2017
02:11:43 PM
emilyfromtexas Starting Member Visit emilyfromtexas's Photo Album 8 Posts
He is neutered and I clean his cage weekly. He's currently on the HPW diet, but that didn't seem to change anything when I switched diets. He's been on it for a few months now. I believe he is 4 now. My other glider is leucistic and has no oil or yellow in his fur, also a neutered male. I'll try to take them to a vet soon, but I am currently in college and my boyfriend is watching over them.
Health related
Sep 23 2017
05:05:57 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
what are you using to clean it ? soaps , laundry detergent, fabric softener, essential oils, etc... have you changed your cleaning routine or brands of soaps or added anything new or different.

could also be a reaction from the cage itself, galvanized steal and glider urine can have a toxic reaction.
Health related
Sep 25 2017
08:19:07 AM
I've been using vinegar to clean the cage and I've recently started using some cage cleaning wipes as well (no change since I've started those). That picture is from a few months ago, they both live in a Brisbane cage so no galvanized wires anymore! I'm not sure what my boyfriend is using when washing their pouches, but I just used a small amount of detergent and double rinsed the pouches and bedding.
Health related
Sep 27 2017
09:22:00 PM
Any ideas??
Health related
Nov 05 2017
10:20:45 AM
Coral and Sparky Joey 19 Posts
Never seen this before. However, just an idea. As she said, try using a few different brands of detergents and see if there is a difference. Tell your boyfriend this and see if it works or not. Neutering might help as she also mentioned.
Oily fur?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Oily fur?