Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Shouldn't feed sugar gliders fruits or vegetables???
Food, Diet
Sep 26 2017
02:07:12 PM
I've recently went to a vet after my sugar glider was ill and inquired about what I should feed her. My vet suggested to feed 75% Insectivore diet, the rest fruits and vegetables and to sprinkle reptivite on top of the fruits and veggies. A little unsure, a couple weeks later I took my male to my main vet for check ups and also inquired about what diet is good, and told her what my other vet had suggested. She said the insectivore was good, but instead it should be 50% Insectivore and 50% BML. I asked what about the fruits and vegetables? She said she doesn't recommend them AT ALL. I was a little confused since I've never heard of not giving suggies fruits or vegetables, but she said she doesn't recommend them because their digestive track is small, and it's hard for them to digest the fiber. I don't know who to trust!! Is it okay to not give your suggies fruits or vegetables? I've never heard of this before!
Food, Diet
Sep 26 2017
04:07:14 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
That goes against everything recommended almost everywhere... Even insectivore diet is an odd recommendation.

Wild gliders eat mostly pollen and occasionnaly birds (protein) nectar & fruits (sugar), and sap/manna (insoluble and soluble fibers), only during breeding time do they choose insects as protein source.

Almost every diet plans widely used with success are mostly based on fruits and vegetables.
To me the supposed fiber issue with glider digestive tract is a misconception. Gliders mostly don't eat the fibers, they extract the juice and leave out the parts they can't digest (that's all the crescent found left either in their bowl either on the ground).

I find it really odd that nowadays many vets are recommending industrial/processed food (insectivore diet in this case, when you read hat's on it, there's not much insects and much additive...) over regular food, but it seems a trend even with other species (over here until 20 years ago cats were not eating pellets either, and oddly their lifespan was 4 years longer than nowadays, yet according to our vets, pellets are the best food possible)...

Edited by - sjusovare on Sep 26 2017 04:10:00 PM
Food, Diet
Sep 26 2017
09:54:22 PM
carrotsncaramel Starting Member 8 Posts
That's exactly what I was thinking... what should I do? I don't particularly like the insectivore diet because my male spits out most of it and I'm afraid he's not getting what he needs. The BML I'm fine with, but I do not agree with not giving him fruits and veggies. My main vet has said to put him on the 50% BML and 50% Insectivore and has scheduled an appointment in a month to see how he's doing on it. After the checkup, should I go back to giving him fruits and veggies?
Food, Diet
Sep 26 2017
10:25:53 PM
Effsan Glider Visit Effsan's Photo Album 64 Posts
My gliders spit out everything they eat. The fruits, vege, mealies, even BML. Dry patches of whatever they were eating. I was told that those are the fibers they can't digest. The gliders sap on the juices and goodness of what they're eating and spit out the solid residue. So it's not odd to see gliders spitting food.
Food, Diet
Sep 26 2017
11:51:44 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
The problem with that suggestion is that BML is designed to work with a specific mix of fruits and vegetables in order to balance the calcium/phosphorus ratio, which will not work with insectivore.
Fruits and vegetables also bring much vitamins and sugars and electrolytes which will not be found in the insectivore, and I think such a high % of the diet with insectivore would bring too much proteins, which would be a high load on the kidneys.
Even zoos use mainly fruits and vegetables (mainly wombaroo based diet or leadbeater's, bot of which are 60 to 80% fruits and veg)
Food, Diet
Sep 27 2017
12:21:07 AM
carrotsncaramel Starting Member 8 Posts
I'll bring that up with her when I go to see her. How odd. For now I think I'll still feed him fruits and veggies with his BML, and maybe put in a little side of Insectivore.
Food, Diet
Sep 27 2017
01:54:19 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
It's pretty common that vets don't know diets, they aren't dietitians and aren't taught what diets and nutritional content each animal needs to thrive. Especially exotics.

I refuse to even discuss diets with one vet that is local to me lol and the other vet I usually use stopped trying to advise me on diets when I talked her under the table about ratio's. When I take mine to the vet it is for medicare or wellness exams ONLY and even then the vet takes my medical glider knowledge on board when we make decisions on what we are going to do.

They are only taught the basics for medical care in most cases, the vets experience with an exotic only expands when they get actual hands on experience treating them.

I would venture to guess that the vet that said no fruits n veg had some experience with a glider that had constipation or impaction and assumed it was from being unable to digest the fiber from fruit n veg.

Gliders spit out what they can't digest that is why we do not recommend pureeing their fruit n veg in blenders and food processors that forces them to eat insoluble fiber that they would normally spit out.

now pureed fruits n veg CAN cause digestion issues like constipation and impaction as I already mentioned, so can feeding them nuts and seeds.

Sj is correct bml relies on the fruit and veg to make the entire diet balanced it is ok to give a good quality pellet on the side but it is NOT ok to be feeding 2 different diets at the same time.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders