Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Glider Attack
Glider Attack
Question
Sep 27 2017
07:30:59 AM
I have 4 babies...They are a family. My eldest is a boy and is the alpha male obviously. He has been loving towards me and loves attention. He likes to sneak in my tee too. But he is a biter. And I dont think I can do anything about it. Sometimes he just bites me randomly. When I was staying alone, I will release all four of them in my room with me inside of course. And they will play all night till morning.

Now I'm living with my husband so they do not have as much freedom.
They do get to run around in the room but just not left free overnight like before as it'll disturb our sleep. My problem now is, this boy attacks my husband. And I mean really attack. We can both be in the same room and he'll lick me and all but he'll jump on him and bites his finger or attack his head or something. And my hubs was just lying in bed beside me doing nothing. On normal days (during daytime), my hubs can even touch him and he will lick him.. They already got used to his smell cos it has been awhile and no crabbing whatsoever. But at night during their playtime, my hubs will be disturbed and attacked by him.

I am puzzled by his behaviour. Anyone has information or has any tips to share?

Edited by - Cashmere on Sep 27 2017 07:34:57 AM
Question
Oct 09 2017
04:31:10 AM
Cashmere Joey Visit Cashmere's Photo Album 20 Posts
I guess no one has the same experience as me?
He must be the unlucky one..
Question
Oct 09 2017
06:12:49 AM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Sorry you haven't had any responses. No, I haven't had that experience.
I guess if it were me, I would try some behavioral techniques to encourage more positive interactions. Like I suppose I would give hubby lots of the yummiest treats and have him purposely give the boy yummy treats before he is attacked. Then I would also give hubby one of those feather cat toys and have hubby play with the boy so the boy can attack the cat toy instead of hubby. Finally, I'm not suggesting punishment but if glider attacks hubby simply put glider back into cage so he learns attack equals back in cage. My Gimli would leave the living room and go into the dining room, which I didn't want him to do. So when he did that, I would pick him up and put him back in the cage (gently like always). So now he doesn't go in the dining room ( except just once in a very long while). Gliders are very smart and learn easily.
Question
Oct 11 2017
01:34:09 AM
Thank you Kferg for your input..
I got hubby to hiss at him whenever he bites but he simply became more aggressive and made that angry growling noise and attacked more.
So now every time he attacks, i'll put him back in his cage.
Hopefully it'll help to improve his behaviour..
Question
Oct 11 2017
06:42:46 AM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Well, I'm no expert but I do think to me his behavior seems territorial. That room has been your glider's space for all this time, and your husband is invading it.
So I would try to focus on preventing the attacks with putting him back in the cage as a back up.

I would start with having the husband on the outer edge of the room, like the outer edge of your glider's territory. Have hubby offer lots of yummy treats so glider associates your hubby with yummy goodness. Have hubby play with your glider with a cat toy that has the feathers on the end (no catnip its toxic to gliders). Then try to have husband leave BEFORE glider attacks so glider is only having positive interactions. Gradually increase the amount of time hubby spends in glider's territory. Also have husband leave an item with his scent in the room so glider gets used to his scent in there. If all of that doesn't work and glider attacks then put glider into cage as a last resort. I would try the getting-along-with-the-invader-of-my-territory options first.
Question
Oct 11 2017
09:38:37 AM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I have to agree with kferg. I personally haven't had this experience either, but gliders are highly territorial and this makes the perfect sense as source of the issue.
Question
Oct 13 2017
03:02:38 AM
Thanks guys..
I thought his behaviour seems territorial too.
But thing is, It is a new room for them.
I moved into his house and not the other way around so it is a totally new place for them. It seems fine for the first few months though. But not anymore. The last time I had him give the boy treats, he's still attacking after that.
He jumped and bit his finger hard until it almost bled.
Hub's getting frustrated and impatient.. So now, I'm doing the treats and if he bites, back to the cage. Sigh.. I hope this improves soon or he'll be short of freedom time as I can imagine having to choose either one in the room and not both at the same time. :(
Glider Attack

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Glider Attack