Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Diet I've been using: good or bad?
Food, Diet
Sep 27 2017
08:01:35 PM
Last summer (a few months after getting Clover and Gizmo) I went to an animal expo and met a fellow glider owner. She seemed like a long-term owner who really knew what she was talking about. She gave me ingredients for the diet she had been giving her gliders, and I've been using it ever since. Clover still enjoys it, but bad news is... I can't find the paper with the ingredients I always keep it on the fridge, but I have no idea where it is now!
I've been giving Clover some eggs and fruits/vegetables with some calcium in the meantime. While looking for the list, I thought of a question; is this diet actually good enough for her? So of course, I decided to come here.
These are the ingredients:
apple juice
honey
baby cereal (rice)
2 eggs
calcium (pink label) [forgot the name, and too lazy to go read it]
I think that's all of it... I can't remember the exact measurements, 2 eggs is all I can remember. Anyway, is this, along with fruits/veggies, a good diet for her? I've never seen the specific mixture before, but I've always assumed it was fine for them.
Food, Diet
Sep 27 2017
09:21:12 PM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
that's part of the ingredients to the bml diet. This is the full recipe including the fruits and veg that needs to be fed with it http://www.bmldiet.com/index.html

It's a good diet and very widely used
Food, Diet
Sep 28 2017
07:13:11 AM
Cottonflower2 Joey 21 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by Leela

that's part of the ingredients to the bml diet. This is the full recipe including the fruits and veg that needs to be fed with it http://www.bmldiet.com/index.html

It's a good diet and very widely used

Yeah, I noticed that it was part of the BML diet while I was searching for it, which is why I'm wondering if the one I've been using is good enough for her. I would hate to have to go shopping just to buy 2-3 more ingredients (just went shopping 2 days ago), so I'm hoping I can continue to use what I've been feeding her.
Food, Diet
Sep 28 2017
08:34:40 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
if your not using the bml recipe on the link I posted then no, it's not enough.

Modified recipes like your using are lacking in a lot of things including vitamins and minerals that have been calculated in to the original diet that makes it balanced.

It may seem like a pain or even an expense to pick up the rest of the ingredients but if your going to feed a certain diet why not make it as it is intended to be made to give them all that they need ?

It's important in my opinion to make diets as they are written by the creator of the diet and not just a random recipe someone else modifies. That includes feeding the fruits n veg that can be specific to each diet.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders