Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Heart Disease or Pneumonia? My Glider Is Not Well
Health related
Oct 07 2017
06:18:23 PM
Chitiri seemed fine yesterday, was eating and playing as normal. This morning he came out of the pouch during the day which is abnormal for any of them (3 total). He seemed very weak and lethargic, his nose was discolored. I picked him up and he could barely hang on to me. I had him on my lap for a few minutes and he vomited a fair amount (clear and white). I called the vet and took him down right away. They put him on oxygen which seemed to help a bit. They took an xray which was difficult to read but amounted to fluid build up in his lungs. I left him there for a couple hours for observation and took the other back home. He responded well to the diuretic they gave him to help get rid of some of that fluid. When I picked him up he was a bit more spry than before and had regained some strength. When we got home I offered him some water and food. He was happy to take the water, was not interested in the worm I offered. He is currently resting and we are worried that he may not recover from whatever this is.

The doctor says that heart disease is high on her list of concerns as is pneumonia. We will be giving him some oral diuretic for the next couple of days, just wanted to get some feedback from the community. This morning when I first picked him up he was making some small popping sounds but no other audible noises.

The other two seems completely normal. He is 6 years old, one of our gliders have ever had a medical problem.
Health related
Oct 08 2017
11:30:15 AM
whirlybird Joey 38 Posts
Well he made it through the night but passed this morning. We were able to get him to eat a fair amount and drink but he just didn't have the strength.
Health related
Oct 08 2017
02:29:54 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
So sorry for your little one. Sometimes there's just nothing we can do, especially when their health goes downward that fast.

It might be a good idea to have the other 2 checked in case it was indeed pneumonia, just to be on the safe side, if taken early antibiotics can prevent a bad outcome.
Health related
Oct 09 2017
11:53:36 AM
ptamom Glider Visit ptamom's Photo Album 145 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders