Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
2 females one is unexpectedly pregnant. Need help
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Oct 13 2017
07:47:57 AM
I have 2 female gliders (Lillie and Momo). They’ve only been introduced to each other for about 3 months now. They seem to get along for the most part (they sleep together at least) but they do bicker at each other from time to time. I’ve had to separate them in two occasions for a night but aside from that they haven’t shown any reason they’re not good for each other. Momo is the wild child, she’s playful, extremely social and loves to chase lily around while lily enjoys her alone time running on the wheel and just doing her thing. I thought that was the basis for that bickering I just felt that lily was annoyed with Momos high jinx. That’s until recently much to my surprise I’ve realized that lily is pregnant! I noticed she was getting bigger with time but brushed it off as simply fat but it wasn’t until a few days ago that I could see her belly moving around. She obviously got pregnant before I got her and now I’m not sure which steps to take to ensure the safety and health of the joye or joyes. Should I separate the two females? Is there a risk that the other one will eat them or would she help in raising them? Seeing as I’ve had her for 3 months these baby’s are about to pop any minute and I’m freaking out !!! Lol
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Oct 16 2017
01:11:40 AM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
Are you sure that Lily is pregnant (or that both of your gliders are in fact female)? I really don't know a lot about pregnant sugar gliders or joeys since I've never had any experience. But I thought pregnancies were a lot quicker than 3 months. Hopefully someone with more experience will respond and be able to help out. Wishing you well!
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Oct 16 2017
07:58:18 AM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
Female gliders have the ability to freeze joey development untill they considere the conditions to be good enough to raise them, which is why a pair of females can sometimes have joeys while there haven't been a male around since up to a year.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Oct 16 2017
09:59:21 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
Sj is correct females can hold a pregnancy in stasis for up to a year, which is also why it was once thought that males sperm was still capable of producing joeys up to two weeks after a neuter.

IF the joeys aren't pulled by the mom, she will need the help of the other female since Dad is not there to play his role in raising the joeys. However, if the girls start having issues I would separate them but not until it was necessary to do so. They may do just fine, but the relationship is pretty new and things can change quickly even with long time cage mates.

There are many reasons joeys may be pulled or rejected and the potential for it with first time parents is high even in ideal conditions. So prepare yourself for worst case scenario which is losing the joeys.

If you are following one of the widely used diets give them an extra portion of the staple, Mom needs the extra nutrients while she's nursing, which they are already doing. Keep up with the extra portion even after the joeys come out of pouch, the girls will teach them where the food is and when mom no longer eats the extra, the babies will begin to.

Most people do not need it but get a joey rejection kit to have on hand in case you do.

Study up on signs of rejection, growth, ect... http://www.suzsugargliders.com/helpforrejectedjoeys.htm
This site has excellent information on joeys, rejection, weights, care etc...

Joeys, birth, parenthood
Nov 13 2017
07:19:34 PM
Opal2017 Starting Member 2 Posts
I have almost the same situation. Adopted two girls, one turned out to be a boy and girl is pregnant. My question is when can I get the boy fixed the won't effect him father g the baby or babies.
Joeys, birth, parenthood
Feb 07 2018
05:06:32 PM
Tabbie Glider Visit Tabbie's Photo Album 64 Posts
I was curious, where do you get a Joey rejection kit? What all does it come with? Our girl has had a two sets of joeys and I hate not being prepared for the worst. We have a smaller cage, heating lamp and what not in case but I’m not sure what else we would need if worse comes to worse.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders