Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Is it weird that... New MOM need advice/help
Question
Oct 20 2017
04:02:33 PM
This is my first post and I have a question. I am a NEW mom! I just picked up my babies yesterday and I am wondering if it is odd that they are not sleeping together or in a pouch... From the time I purchused them i was told that they would be placed together so they could bond with onanother.... I got them home safely and they are in their new home but one is sleeping in a corner pouch that is open and the other is sleeping in the little parashute thingie. These are my first gliders and I have done extensive research before I bought them...so I think I have a handle on the really important things with their diet and other aspects... As of yet I have not been able to hold them without a ton of crabbing and biting which I am sure is normal and doesn't scare me one bit...they are scared and who the heck would blame them!?!

They ate well lastnight. I fed them what the breeder said to for atleast a month until they get used to everything then I can swich them over to the BML diet I plan on emplimitting once the initial tiem period is up...I am thinking of adding some other fruits and vegies as time goes on...just to give varity...I don't like the diet the breeder had them on at all as it doesn't seem nutritionally balanced but I am afraid to just start the BML plus fruits and veggies...

I really am at a loss here in beginning and the last thing I want to do is do something that might cause them harm... I am a TRUE newbe with reasinable knoledge about my new babies and I would really love it if someone could so to speak take me under their wing and help me get through this first little bit. DM me or email me if you would be willing to give me a bit of your time. Any help and support right now would be much appreciated.
Question
Oct 20 2017
08:24:54 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
WELCOME!!!! And CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

It sounds like you've done research, but it seems it's always a little different in reality, we understand that, having been there, at I know for myself.

I don't know that it's weird, them sleeping in separate places. Both places are acceptable bedding for gliders, some may prefer open-environment, while others like the coziness of a pouch. Maybe because it's new, and each wanted to try out their options. Give them time to acclimate being you've only had them for about two days.

As for BML, they have specified fruit and vegetables to use with that diet. There are certain veggies that must be served daily and the specific fruits, I believe can be alternated in to expand variety, or just serve all of the specified f/v as in one complete salad. Follow the serving instructions to a T.

Anyway, feel free to pm me here anytime, if you wish and I will be in touch asap, I try to check in everyday, but sometimes skip and at times have had a hard time getting logged in. Also, you can always post on here, where I'm sure those who are on will be happy to help where they can.
Question
Oct 20 2017
10:51:03 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the diet for one month. I would say switch them over when you feel good about it. Even if its not the best diet it would take a long time (I feel) for nutritional problems to happen. We picked up connor a few months ago, I think he was on a pellet and apple diet for the last two years and the vet gave him a clean bill of health. (Our vets has two guys that have a lot of glider experience) ( he is on Ohpw now.)

Are the 2 gliders already bonded when you got them, or were they together in the same cage? If they were separate at the breeders you should do the whole introduction procedure.
If they were already in a cage together when you got them, I would say they are in a new unmarked cage, unmarked pouch. so they are little and in a completely new environment, give them a few days to figure it out.

Edited by - BYK_Chainsaw on Oct 20 2017 11:02:12 PM
Question
Oct 21 2017
08:10:30 PM
SuggieMom17 Joey 25 Posts
Thank you both for the advice...here is a bit of a further explanation and an update...

I was told that once i offically purchused them that they would be placed in the same cage in order to bond....now if that really happened I do not know. The first half day and second day they were not sleeping together.. which leeds me to believe that they were not placed together as I was told they would be or that was not suficent time for them to bond as it was only a period of 6 days before they weresent to me... update on that is that this morning they were both in the same pouch so I am guessing their beonding is moving along nicely...

They seem to be eating well as atleast half of the food I put in their kitchen is gone.

I have heard it is good to basically leave them alone for the first few nights is a good Idea so I have not been in to check on themj when they are active. Both nights I have been woken up by their barking and I was a bit surprised that they were barking at all as I am assuming that the barking is them trying to get my attention because they want to play...so i was surprised they did that at all! Doesn't bother me one bit! It is ADORABL!

I really have not had any bonding time with them yet and I am a little scared to try to get them in the bonding pouch....is it even ok to have both together in the bonding pouch? That is probably a dumb question... lol

My fear is that if I try to get them in the pouch they will freak out and jump away from me and then I wont be able to find them.... their crabbing does not scare me and I show them that by not walking away from there cage until they are both quiet. They wont take a treat from me but if left in the cage it will be eaten...

The fact that they were in the same pouch was a good victory for today...i dont want to expect to much to soon but I also want to be sure they are getting everything the need including exercise other than their wheel....

Could I be doing more daily to help things? I am afraid to move to fast because our first meeting did not go very well AT ALL!!!
Question
Oct 21 2017
09:48:51 PM

Yay! In the same pouch!! That's good, that's very good. They'll work through this.

You can sit by their cage, whether they're up or not and talk, sing, or read to them. Use a soft, gentle voice always. Also, when moving towards them or hand in cage, speak softly and move in a slow, controlled manner.

As for getting them into a bonding pouch, there are options you can try. If they are in their sleeping pouch, slowly remove it, make sure their room is secure and that is hazard free (no danger or at least where you can have some control). If you need to, (some gliders sleep better than others), gently pinch the top of the sleeping pouch closed.

Here's where your choices vary, depending on your situation or for at least, at the time you're doing daytime bonding. You can have treats handy, like yogurt they can lick or yogurt drops, mealies, or whatever treat you are planning on using for bonding bribery. I usually used yogurt (had to start with a spoon because Lulu ((RIP)) would attack my hand at first). If you use yogurt, make sure it's not the sugar free, very important!

1. If you're not going out anywhere, take them, while in the sleeping pouch and go sit in a secure safe room. Sit and just hold the pouch on your lap, or you can secure with c-hooks to your bra strap (I found it's better at first to sit with them not attached to you in the beginning). Gently rub them through the pouuch, speak or sing softly awhile. When they pop their heads out, because they may be curious, have the treat ready to offer them. After a few times, try gently rubbing your finger on them while they eat the treats. This is a nice method because you can advance to "hand in pouch" much easier. Move at their pace, you can do this for short durations so you don't disturb too much of their sleep cycle while they're adjusting to you. You can try this daily, or as many days a week your schedule permits, however the more consistent, the more faster the relationship develops, usually. 3-4 X a week is plenty if you can't do this daily, sessions should start short 10 minutes and can gradually increased to up to 20-30 minutes a day.

Once you've gotten them more used to you, getting them into a bonding pouch is a bit easier.

2. This method is if you were planning on taking them out with for the day or for extended periods of time, because it's the only way you can do consistent daytime bonding ("pouch time"). Take them out while they're in the sleeping pouch as described above for the easiest and less stressful way, for them and you. Then, have their bonding pouch open and ready, slip it over the opening of their sleeping pouch and work them gently into the bonding pouch. This is easiest to do sitting on a bed or the floor. Make sure the room is secure, incase of escapes. As soon as they're ushered into the bonding pouch, pull the sleep pouch slowly away and right away hand them a treat, you have to be fast, but move slow, if you understand what I'm saying. Anyway, whild they're num numming on their treat, zip up the pouch.

Eventually, you should be able to get them into the bonding pouch much easier and less stressful for everyone. It takes time and gentle persistence.
Question
Oct 22 2017
03:45:31 AM
I just got woken up by their cuteness! Tonite I went in to check on them...they are curious but crabby... one of them is definately nore crabby than the other... The pouch they both are using for their sleeping pouch is secured to the top door of their cage (I have the Brisbin by Exotic nutrition) so i hace easy access to them to get them out! Yay! Lol One of them will pop their head out to try to attack me bug go right back in....OMG. They are so cute!!! I digress.....:)

I will givebyour suggestion a shot today as it is my laundry day plus I need to work in there room to finish organizing some things from when I was getting ready for them. I also havent done much clean up in there cage since they arrived and I need to get that done....I am thinking I amy try to transfer them to bonding pouch like you said then just put that somewhere safe for the duration....

Is it ok to take them with me when I am out this early? That would be great!

Ya know one of the reasons I chose Suger gliders for a pet is that they really need the slow movments and a lot of patients in order to bond and live with...I am hoping that maybe in time it will be benifitial to my health and blood pressure... I am not a patient person by nature and having them is really challenging me in an extreamly good way already...hard to explain...

I will post again tonight for another update. I TRULY appreciate your help! #128156;
Question
Oct 22 2017
06:22:41 PM

I also have the Brisbane, I have it in Sandstone and LOVE it! It's much easier to maintain and still fun to design safe and fun setups for them.
Question
Oct 22 2017
08:12:12 PM
I just got woken up by their cuteness! Tonite I went in to check on them...they are curious but crabby... one of them is definately nore crabby than the other... The pouch they both are using for their sleeping pouch is secured to the top door of their cage (I have the Brisbin by Exotic nutrition) so i hace easy access to them to get them out! Yay! Lol One of them will pop their head out to try to attack me bug go right back in....OMG. They are so cute!!! I digress.....:)

I will givebyour suggestion a shot today as it is my laundry day plus I need to work in there room to finish organizing some things from when I was getting ready for them. I also havent done much clean up in there cage since they arrived and I need to get that done....I am thinking I amy try to transfer them to bonding pouch like you said then just put that somewhere safe for the duration....

Is it ok to take them with me when I am out this early? That would be great!

Ya know one of the reasons I chose Suger gliders for a pet is that they really need the slow movments and a lot of patients in order to bond and live with...I am hoping that maybe in time it will be benifitial to my health and blood pressure... I am not a patient person by nature and having them is really challenging me in an extreamly good way already...hard to explain...

I will post again tonight for another update. I TRULY appreciate your help! #128156;

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders