Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
How to go about rehoming him? Is it too late...?
Question
Oct 22 2017
12:09:56 AM
I think my sugar glider is 6 years old. I've not taken him out very much to play in that time. So I admit I've been a neglectful owner by not playing with him and having him stay in his cage most of the time. rehoming is something i should have done long ago (and I tried to, but it didn't work out for other reasons). He has a big bald area on his head and he is somewhat active in his cage and does backflips a lot. I got him from Pocket Pets years ago at a mall, and I wish I had known more before I got him. And I now know why Pocket Pets is infamous by those who really care about sugar gliders (I had not known at the time the misinformation they spread). He was sorta a gift, so I wasn't completely prepared, and in saying that I'm not trying to shift the blame, I'm just explaining the details. I am not even living at home anymore as I am in college, but I try to let him out sometimes when I come home. He probably would've had a much better life if he was with an owner who properly cared for him, and I will take responsibility for the neglect that has occurred. If it's not too late I'm thinking rehoming would be the best way to go. I live in VA but I couldn't find anything besides local animal shelters. I saw someone else post in the "my pet needs a new home" section who is from VA but no one responded to them, so my guess is there may not be anyone close enough who is active on this site and wants to rescue him. If I can at least try to give him a better life I would like to; please offer any advice you may have.
Question
Oct 22 2017
12:36:20 PM
Kferg Face Hugger Visit Kferg's Photo Album 624 Posts
Hello!
There's a Facebook page called Sugar Glider Guardians you could try. You could list him on Craigslist and try to make sure he goes to a responsible owner who either already has gliders or has done their research. I think there's a section on this site for rehoming.
If you were closer to me in NY I know Craigslist would work because there are gliders on there all the time. Wish I could help more! I wish you and your glider the best of luck.
Question
Oct 22 2017
02:35:43 PM
KatieDidnt Joey NJ, USA 23 Posts
Aww, I would take him in a heartbeat if you were closer. I would love to add to my suggie family, and a single, older glider is exactly what I'm looking for. If you ever feel like traveling to Jersey . . . =P

I second what Kferg said, though: try facebook. I am part of a NJ specific page for re-homing gliders, maybe there are similar pages for VA. I also like that fb gives you the chance to look into the people you're potentially giving your glider to. Craigslist has always seemed a bit sketchy to me . . . to be fair, though, I've never actually used craigslist and my opinion is based completely on feeling and not actual experience lol.

(Also, I think it's really admirable that you're taking responsibility for your glider and your actions, but maybe don't beat yourself up too much? You are certainly not the first or only person to be misinformed/lied to about sugar gliders!)

Good luck finding your guy a new home!
Question
Oct 22 2017
06:40:55 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Not much I can add, I myself cannot help, but agree with checking out Glider Guardians.

The bald patch on his head could be due to that he was not neutered. I have heard that PP neuters all their males prior to sale, but maybe since this was some time ago, they may not have had that in practice then.

I'm sorry for you and your little guy, the circumstances you find you both in. I wish you the best of luck!
Question
Oct 24 2017
03:13:05 PM
kidqwik Joey Visit kidqwik's Photo Album 47 Posts
quote:
Originally posted by KatieDidnt

Aww, I would take him in a heartbeat if you were closer. I would love to add to my suggie family, and a single, older glider is exactly what I'm looking for. If you ever feel like traveling to Jersey . . . =P

I second what Kferg said, though: try facebook. I am part of a NJ specific page for re-homing gliders, maybe there are similar pages for VA. I also like that fb gives you the chance to look into the people you're potentially giving your glider to. Craigslist has always seemed a bit sketchy to me . . . to be fair, though, I've never actually used craigslist and my opinion is based completely on feeling and not actual experience lol.

(Also, I think it's really admirable that you're taking responsibility for your glider and your actions, but maybe don't beat yourself up too much? You are certainly not the first or only person to be misinformed/lied to about sugar gliders!)

Good luck finding your guy a new home!

I'm in NJ. Where's the NJ Rehoming page? :)
Question
Oct 24 2017
08:25:06 PM
KatieDidnt Joey NJ, USA 23 Posts
kidqwik, here's the link! =)

https://www.facebook.com/njgliders/

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders