Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Waking up with right eye closed, but he opens it a min later?
Health related
Oct 26 2017
03:43:08 AM
Yesterday I went to check on my sugar gliders and give them a treat like everyday but one of them (my leucistic who I named Bambi) had his right eye closed. I died inside and freaked out and ran to grab my phone to look and see what time the vet that can see him opens. I came back to his cage and his eye was open. I played with him all day watching him and it never seemed to bother him expect when something would brush his eye like his cage mate. I put him in his cage we was very playful and seemed fine. I just checked on him again same thing. I went to get a damp cloth by the time the water turned warm he had already opened his eye in his own. Should I take him to a vet? I read you can buy contact solution for them? He also sleeps on his face. I can't imagine why his eye is shut, but when I wake him up he opens it himself. I can't imagine anything in his cage hurting his eye. I want to take him to the vet asap but I read someone with a similar post and the vet only gave them eye drops and said to keep it open
Health related
Nov 09 2017
11:07:15 AM
applejack Starting Member WI, USA 9 Posts
Disclosure: I am not a vet.
Gliders get sleepies/eye boogers like people, it is there to help keep eyes closed while we sleep. It is probably nothing. If he is opening in by himself quickly and it doesn't seem to upset or bother him, don't worry about it. If he begins to take longer to open his eye or he becomes panicked that he can't see out of one eye, take him in, but don't worry about something that small by itself.
Health related
Jan 06 2018
09:13:36 PM
nicole.laine Starting Member 2 Posts
Like the other user stated I'm not a vet but our gliders have this happen every so often and I've heard others experience this too. I don't think its anything to worry about but freaked me out at first to so I understand your concern. Pretty sure its just suggie eye goop lol
Health related
Oct 24 2018
08:45:54 PM
Cjhoffman Starting Member 2 Posts
Mine just did this and I freaked out as well. Went to grab my food friend who owns a petstore and within 30 seconds she had it opened fine and was enjoying the toys in her cage.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders