Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
*PLEASE RESPOND* is my sugar glider sick??
Health related
Oct 26 2017
05:48:14 AM
Yesterday I checked on my sugar glider Bambi (who I've had for like 3 weeks) when I woke up and his right eye was shut. I freaked out and went to grab my phone to see time vet opens and when I came back to his cage his eye was open and it stayed open the rest of the day. I just woke up to find his eye sealed shut again. I also just noticed he sneezes in his sleep, or maybe he is awake but he's curled up clearly NOT grooming himself is that a sick that he is sick? What could possibly be wrong with him? Eye infection? Why is he sneezing (it's very faint) when he's curled up trying to sleep. Someone please respond I want to at least have some kind of idea of what is wrong. I also read in pocket pets that his eye being shut is a sign of infection. I also read something else on pocket pets about a rare occurrence when something gets stuck in their mouth because they can't brush their teeth and an abcess occurs when he has no swelling in his face, only his eye was shut when I woke him up and he seemed to blink with that eye a lot, other than that he is completely fine eating drinking water looks fatter than when I first got him and he plays a lot in his cage. I want to take him to the vet but where I live sugar gliders aren't a very common pet and I'm scared my vet will only tell me to use point meant of eye drops and that the sneezing is grooming but I see he is not grooming himself.
Health related
Oct 26 2017
02:51:05 PM
Gami77 Joey Visit Gami77's Photo Album 16 Posts
I had the same situation with my little girl who passed away week after!.
I don’t want to frighten you and I can’t tell exactly what yours suffering from but I believe mine had respiratory/eye infections or allergies. antibiotics would be the treatment. sugar gliders aren't common where I live as well, unfortunately that’s why I couldn’t treat her, but either ways do see a vet ASAP they might know hopefully.
And I hope your little will get well soon.
Health related
Oct 26 2017
03:55:29 PM
sjusovare Face Hugger Visit sjusovare's Photo Album France 694 Posts
Is there any swell around his closed eye (especially compared to the other one)?
When the eye is openned, is it fully openned, and is the eye bright or cloudy/whiteish?

Sneezing / popping / barking / crabbing... while sleeping is not uncommon, in fact I have never experienced sneezing as a sign of illness with gliders, when mines had a respiratory infection, the main sign was a loud popping sound while awake and active, but never sneeze nor cough.

In any suspicion of eye / respiratory infection, it's always better to consult a vet anyway, who can prescribe antibiotics if needs be, and even if the glider turns out to have no issue, at least it serves to calm down the human which can only be positive for the animal (gliders do pick up on our stress and act in consequence) ;)
Health related
Oct 26 2017
07:18:02 PM
Tiakristin3 Face Hugger Visit Tiakristin3's Photo Album 412 Posts
I was just reading another post from someone last week (Fotoon, Oct. 19) who had a similar situation (sneezing, one eye closed). The vet said it was likely the flu and prescribed antibiotics. So I would definitely follow the advice already given and try to find a qualified (preferably exotic) vet who can give you the best advice and treatment. Wishing you all the best!
Health related
Oct 26 2017
11:27:26 PM
Except that, as I said last week, it makes no sense whatsoever.

The flu is caused by viruses, not bacterias, so antibiotics would be totally useless, a vet should not prescribe them after have put such a diagnostic.
But more, influenza viruses, which are responsibl for the flu, affect only birds, pigs and humans, not marsupials...
Health related
Oct 26 2017
11:29:40 PM
Marycats Joey Visit Marycats's Photo Album 13 Posts
There is no swelling from what I can see, I even asked my mother who is a nurse and she said she saw no swelling. His eye looks completely normal when open the only thing I noticed was the blue ring around his eye was faintly noticeable to me. He goes all day long with his eye looking fine, it's only when I wake have woken him up from a nap that his eye was shut, but only for a minute. I just really feel like when I take him to a vet he will look completely fine to them
Health related
Oct 26 2017
11:52:24 PM
youtu.be/lCjWmBrbwUw

I took a video and posted it to YouTube. It is his right eye. I noticed in the video he doesn't seem to want to blink with it. Does it look like he has any swelling?
Health related
Oct 27 2017
12:24:02 AM
I don't notice any swelling or unusual thing either, it might just be that when he is waking he blinks his eyes.
Just to be on the safe side, keep an eye on him for any new symptoms that seem unusual to you, and you can bring him to a vet who could check his respiratory function.
Health related
Oct 27 2017
01:34:39 AM
Does anyone know any eye drops that are safe for sugar gliders and also ointment?

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders