Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Bml diet advice
Bml diet advice
Food, Diet
Nov 02 2017
06:12:28 PM
Wishes, my new glider is on bml diet from the breeder.
The first night he ate all his food and was up till 10 am looking for more, so I gave him a half tisp more bml
Which he ate so I increased the food from one tisp to two he eats all the bml but not none of the veggies or fruits.
I thought maybe he couldn't find them so I put them in the bml but he ate around them should I change what I'm doing
They are the same veg fruits from the first night : carrots green beans peas/ apples papaya and mangoes
Before you say ask the breeder
I can ask the breeder she is very helpful and only lives an hour away from me
but I would like a few options
I probably just cut back to one tisp and feed him again if he still looks hungry

He's 10 weeks yesterday
Food, Diet
Nov 03 2017
05:21:44 AM
Wishes Joey Visit Wishes's Photo Album 41 Posts
I asked the breeder
and she said it's fine if they don't eat the fruits and veggies some nights that she was giving :
peas
corn( thought that was bad)
green beans
cantaloupe
watermelon
and honey dew

Last night I cut out the papaya and mango gave a little less bml
I put bml and the veg/fru next to each other he ate all the bml but only peas carrots

Maybe I will try drizzling the fruits with honey
Any ideas?
Is watermelon a good option?

Food, Diet
Nov 03 2017
09:32:45 AM
Leela Goofy Gorillatoes Gliderpedia Editor Visit Leela's Photo Album Leela's Journal 2919 Posts
10 week old joeys don't eat a lot of fruit or veg, they sort of grow into them as they get older the most important thing is that they are eating the staple. Still keep putting them on the plate everyday though, they do eat some even if it doesn't look like they did.

keep in mind an adults stomach is about half the size of your thumb nail, a 10 week old joeys is smaller than that, so they eat small amounts at a time several times a night.

bml is a strict diet when it comes to fruit n veg you should only be feeding the following.

Corn
peas
carrots
green beans

( if you buy a bag of mixed veg and there are lima beans in it that is fine too but there aren't a lot of lima beans in the mix )

apples ( no seeds )
grapes
cherries ( pitted)
melons- honeydew watermellon cantelope
blueberries

corn is not baddddddddddd for them when it is part of a nutritionally balanced diet like bml. In fact corn and the other fruits and veg is calculated in to help make it balanced.

Food, Diet
Nov 03 2017
10:25:05 AM
Wishes Joey Visit Wishes's Photo Album 41 Posts
Thank you for the reply
That's good to know about the corn
I will make sure to put it in next feeding

And will stick to the fruits listed in the bml diet

I don't want to make him sick #128557;
Can I give him treats of others papaya etc
Or only what is listed?
Bml diet advice