Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
moving homes
moving homes
Question
Nov 03 2017
12:04:31 PM
I can't seem to find an answer to this question and don't know if it's been already asked so I figured I would just ask-I have two sugar gliders who don't react to stress well and are very scent sensitive. Recently my family has decided to move to a new home, and over the next few months we're basically going to be in construction. My question is does anyone have any advice on how I can make this move/situation less stressful on them? Two of my big concerns are having to deal with the complete change of smell, and them being super confused in a new room/house because they live in my bedroom-more like I live in their bedroom-and their space is going to be foreign to them.

Thanks!
Question
Nov 03 2017
09:26:49 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I have made 2 major moves with my gliders. From MD to AZ and back again (10 months later). Of course my gliders were fairly used to travel (short trips 2-3 nights or so).

1. Have your gliders ever traveled before? Have you moved before?
2. Is the move a long distance away?
3. What do you mean "be in construction"? Are you moving after construction?
4. What have you noticed stressing your gliders out, and how do they act when stressed?

I ask these questions for a better insight to your specific situation. However, I can offer some basic things to try that may help your gliders transition a little easier.

1. If your gliders will be traveling in a carrier or travel cage and are not used to travel, try introducing them to what they'll be in for short periods of time, so that their scent is on it and they are familiar.

2. Save some of their unwashed cage items to setup back into their cage after move, so they have their familiar scent surrounding them. Also, reintroduce your scent, like recommended when you first get the gliders. Sleep with or keep pieces of fleece on you or in your unwashed laundry to get your scent and place in their pouch and around the cage. This familiar scent will help. Also, I know this sounds weird, but please keep them in your bedroom with you in your new home and make your bed up with the bedding you had before the move, without washing them. Just for a few nights, then refresh your bedding. This will help bring scents from their previous home with them, it will be familiar and will help them adapt to the changes.

3. Spend as much time with them to comfort and reassure them.

Hope I've been some help.

Question
Nov 04 2017
06:14:00 PM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I feel gliders are pretty strong little critters.
Out in the wild they have to go from tree to tree foraging for food, going thru times of starvation. Looking out for predators all the time, keeping warm on the sometimes cold evenings.
So if you provide the same cage, still covered in their scent, I think they will do ok in the long run.
The change in surroundings may even pick their interest and give them some exciting new things to explore.
moving homes

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
moving homes