Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
My sugar glider is turning white, help please!
Information
Nov 04 2017
07:55:43 PM
Hi!
A couple weeks ago, I got my little joey, Rocky. Around the same time I switched all my sugar gliders over to the BML diet, which is way healthier then the instant how from exotic nutrition I was feeding before. The only things is though, comet started turning white. Okay, to be fair it’s not really white, since he is a standard grey, but a very light standard grey, lighter then before. He seems to be fine, he’s eating and drinking, he runs on his wheel, he hasn’t lost any weight or sneezed or whatever or anything like that. I just don’t understand why this would happen now? I have heard of gliders turning brown due to poor diet, but the bml diet is *supposed to be * a good diet. I was thinking, maybe it could be from stress? Whenever I let them out to play they always go over to Rocky’s cage, and then they see each other and they start crabbing and hissing. They haven’t hurt each other yet, but I was what I should do and if it could be causing my SUGGIES to turn? (Abel is changing a little bit, but not as much as comet) so does anybody have any idea what this could be? I’ve never heard of it before :/ and how do you tell if a sugar glider is overweight?
Information
Nov 04 2017
08:03:41 PM
JenniferK Joey 26 Posts
If his behavior isn’t different maybe his coat is changing due to the diet. This could be a good thing. A researched diet does wonders!

Edited by - JenniferK on Nov 04 2017 08:04:35 PM
Information
Nov 04 2017
08:30:39 PM
Glidingcameron Glider Visit Glidingcameron's Photo Album 128 Posts
Thanks! I was afraid he was sick or something :)
Information
Nov 04 2017
08:44:48 PM
JenniferK Joey 26 Posts
Hopefully some others will reply with more info. I do know a well rounded diet can change their coat/look for the better.

Good luck
Jenk
Information
Jan 16 2018
06:55:59 AM
freeglider Starting Member 4 Posts
Hey I’ve read your post and although I don’t have any information to give you I just wish some more experienced glider owners should reply I hope he is doing good
Information
Jan 16 2018
03:57:57 PM
mechnut450 Glider Visit mechnut450's Photo Album 121 Posts
with the lighting up in his fur is do to a better diet (versus old diet) we had glider who are whit turn yellow when we first got them and the staining will make them look dirty and what not. We switch their diet to a more common one and they lighten back up with in 2 months. They stained more now with a male that neutered in with them due to everyone marking each other like crazy. but that faded away as they use to each other.

You may have a really light grey or a color mutation that was not seen by the previous owner (or didn't know it) so his true colors might be finally showing though the staining.
Information
Jan 22 2018
07:37:28 PM
Summernicole Super Glider Visit Summernicole's Photo Album OK, USA 251 Posts
Hi! Sometimes Platinum gliders grow lighter over time, and Mosaics have what's called "powdering out." I have seen some go from very dark to nearly solid white. Mosaics can sometimes 'hide', especially to novice owners (I don't know where you got him from originally.) For example, a glider with 1 white whisker or 1 white toe can be a mosaic that no one noticed.. Do you have good pictures of him? There is no known health issue that would cause him to turn white.
The 'average' weight range for sugar gliders is 90-140 grams for an adult male. Some just have bigger bodies than others, so they can be heavier without being fat. If he doesn't have 'boobs' between his front legs, he's likely not too overweight.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders