GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Is this a bad sign? Adult sugar gliders not getting along with baby
Question
Nov 05 2017
09:17:30 PM
Hi!
So a few weeks ago I got a new Joey named Rocky. He isn’t big enough to go in with the “big boys” yet, so he currently is living in a cage set very close to the other’s cage. They can’t touch each other through the bars . I’ve been switching their pouches. When I let my older boys out to play though, usually this happens: one of the sugar gliders wanders over to Rocky’s cage, who is minding his own business. Then, the other glider sees rocky or vice versa. If Rocky comes to the bars, then the two gliders will sniff, hiss a little, crab a little, “chase”each other around , etc. nobody’s gotten hurt yet, and I always make sure they don’t , but I’m worried this is a bad sign. Just now comet tried to grab Rocky’s tail, which resulted in more hissing and crabbing. I’m really worried that when they get officially introduced, ( which I plan to do by putting their pouches on opposite sides of the SUGGIES proofed bathroom and letting them wander over to each other while I’m wearing gloves, is that right? ) they will be like, so your the guy who’s been swearing at me these past few weeks( for some reason I imagine sugar gliders hissing and crabbing at each other they are yelling swear words at each other is that weird I know it is ok :p ) any way, they’ll realize it is the guy who’s been “swearing “ at them and then they all think, TIME TO DIE!!! About the other glider. If it doesn’t work out, how do I even know? When somebody’s leg gets ripped pff? And if they fight, do I separate them and try again or just give up? And then if I’m supposed to just give up, then I will have a line glider, which is bad, then I’ll have to get ANOTHER joey and ANOTHER. Cage and just cross my fingers that the introduction goes well. Before you know it , one thing leads to another and I have 12 gliders that all hate each other because I tried to pair them up and it didn’t work out. D: I’ve heard that neutering gliders makes them less territorial, maybe that would help before they all get introduced ? ( I’ve also heard that if you don’t neuter them they’ll fight and kill each other, that hasn’t happened thankfully, and that’s it’s inhumane or something to keep them not neutered). The problem is, the one spare cage I have, Rocky is living in, so I wouldn’t have a recovery cage for comet after he got neutered. ( I think comet is the most territorial one).
I know that I must sound like a paranoid maniac. XD. In a way, I am. Sorry for the long post, I’m really nervous with all their fighting and stuff and I’m not sure whether when they do this i should pull them always, or let them do it? :/
Question
Nov 07 2017
04:47:08 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
I recommend moving the cages into different rooms for a period of time prior to actual introductions, to avoid these negative interactions.

Secondly, while waiting (with cages in separate rooms), continue scent swapping.

Thirdly, I strongly recommend getting two fleece bonding bags, single layered preferably. I ordered two of these http://www.exoticnutrition.com/Products/Carry-Bonding-Pouch-with-Window-BLACK__574TENBK.aspx , I got green, but color doesn't matter. Place your pair in one bonding pouch and your single in another then carry them together overlapped during the day, mim 15 minutes, longer when possible. Do this several times a week at least. Start with screens facing away, then after they seem quieted down, flip them (gently) so that the screens face each other. Monitor their reactions and behaviors towards each other. If there is a conflict, turn screens away again and begin again. All this time, proceed with scent swapping.

Scent swapping/mingling:
Cut two rectangler per set, cut a few sets (about 3) from fleece, they should measure approx 5" x 10" at largest to 4' x 8" at smallest. Place one rectangle inside pairs sleeping quarters, and one rectangle in your singles. Leave for at least 1-2 nights, I recommend 2 minimum, 3 max. After 1-3 nights, take the fleece rectangles out of their pouches, lay on top of the other and cut in half. Then place two of the halves together (mixed scents from both pouches) in the pairs sleeping pouch and the other two halves together in the singles sleeping pouch. Repeat this process with the other sets, after you have the two halves in each, add a rectangle to the pouches as well, layer those and cut in half, then they'll replace the ones that were in the pouch. Repeat with the third set, if you made one and you should have easily two to three weeks of scent mingling to work within.

Please let me know if have questions about this process. Remember, no suggestions, tips, or adise given by those who've had luck with them, or you've read is a guarantee that you will have successful introductions, but these tips can help increase the likelyhood.

Edited by - TJones09 on Nov 07 2017 05:08:42 PM
Question
Nov 08 2017
09:16:05 PM
Glidingcameron Glider Visit Glidingcameron's Photo Album 128 Posts
Thanks a ton:) and sorry this is kinda a late response. I’m going to try the bonding pouch thing, it sounds like a pretty good idea, but my two older brother boys HATE the bonding pouch. Both will just freak out and crab and unzip the pouch, and basically do everything EXCEPT go to sleep. Rocky, on the other hand, will go bonkers if I put him in there and zip it up but will go to sleep just fine if I unzip the pouch. ( doesn’t sugar glider logic make sense? XD) anyway, is there any way I could get my pair To not.. hate the bonding pouch? I already have two bonding pouches with Windows. Thanks again :)
Question
Nov 08 2017
09:23:56 PM
TJones09 Goofy Gorillatoes Visit TJones09's Photo Album 3524 Posts
Try placing some of their favorite treat or a slice of apple in there with them.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders