Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Sugar glider attacking cage mate
Question
Nov 06 2017
06:31:14 AM
I have two female sugar gliders that I got from the same breeder. They are both the same age, except one is a week older. I have had them for a little over a year.

Recently I've been hearing a lot of fussing between them in the middle of the night. This morning I caught one of them in a pouch, when the other glider tried to get in the pouch with her she lunged out at her and chased her around the cage until I broke it up.

I feel really bad for the one being attacked because she has always been really sweet and docile from the beginning, and the one that is doing the attacking has always been more anxious and wants to be left alone.

Why after 15 months are they not getting along? How do I fix this?
Question
Nov 06 2017
10:02:32 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
I don't know why they are doing this but I would start by adding a second sleeping pouch.
Our 2 colonies both have 2 sleeping pouches. this way one or more can have another sleeping area. I would say 90% of time they are all together, but from time to time some will chose to sleep separate.
We had even 2 pouches with our lone glider but one is in the wash for now.

Another thing to think about is a vet visit, I have read sometimes a sick glider can get chased away.
Question
Nov 06 2017
11:02:33 AM
7ilovelucy Starting Member 3 Posts
I will definitely consider a vet visit. I do have two pouches in their cage, but she seems to be persistent in trying to sleep with her sister. This morning she just stayed next to the pouch until finally I distracted the other glider so she could go into the pouch.

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders