Register Register New Posts Active Topics | Search Search | FAQ FAQ

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders
Is it Normal? Or Should I Worry?
Question
Nov 06 2017
06:19:01 PM
Odd question...is it normal for gliders to twitch in their sleep?

I have had my girls now for almost 3 weeks and I guess things are moving forward all right.....

Today when I took my girls out of the cage for bonding time (transferring them to a bonding pouch seems to stressful right now so I just stick the sleeping pouch in my shirt.) I noticed that one was twitching a lot and not just normal moving around to get comfortable kind of thing.... it just felt different and it scared me!

Ever since I brought them home they have both been good little eaters and there is always a good amount of their food gone in the mornings when I clean their kitchen....this morning there was barely anything gone. The diet I have them on is still the diet I was told to use by the breeder for at least 4 weeks till they get acclimated...I do NOT like this diet and am going to be changing it or beginning to change it in about a week so I know they are getting all of what they need so I don't have any issues with a possible calcium deficiency...because I have seen those heartbreaking videos with gliders having sesures and it is so sad.... These two are my first gliders and the last thing I want is for me to be messing something up and them paying for it.... They deserve much better than that! So...I am hoping worrying at this point is jumping the gun and I should just assume she is having a good dream where she is chasing something like with my puppy! Should I worry or give it more time....also once I got myself freaked out enough to get them out of the pouch to make sure something wasn't wrong they both seemed fine and not twitching.... UGH IDK

Also...is it normal that they click or pop in their sleep???

A quick extra question...I know it has still been a short time but one of my girls is still so terrified of me and shakes every time I come around or open the pouch or do almost anything. I have stuck my hand into the pouch and she sniffs my hand and even will give me little light testing bites but will crab too. She will allow my hand to go around here and she may even look at me but then will just hide her head....She lets me pet her and she won't bite but she is so scared it's very sad and breaks my heart because the last thing I want to do is hurt her....I have also done the balling her up in fleece and stick her in my bra and she's fine!!! How in the world am I supposed to take this? LOL She ABSOLUTELY will NOT take any treat and will just huddle in the pouch while her sister comes out and eats all the treats....Ok well she doesn't come out all the way (yet) just far enough to grab the treat and then go back in the pouch and eat it...

Advice?
Question
Nov 07 2017
06:49:14 AM
BYK_Chainsaw Fuzzy Wuzzy Visit BYK_Chainsaw's Photo Album BYK_Chainsaw's Journal USA 1301 Posts
Our glider will groom a lot in the pouch.
If I put sophie in my shirt, she will groom with quick scratching movements for about 10 to 20 minutes, then usually go to sleep.
I have seen some of our gliders moving around like dreaming in their sleep, similar to the dogs.

3 weeks is a short time, just keep up bonding pouch, scented fleece pieces in pouch with fresh scent every few days and run around time in tent or bathroom is something I like and think really helps the gliders some.
but I would think most gliders take more then 3 weeks. Keep nicely pushing her to bond with you, just don't get overly handsie, and try to pick her up all the time, I dont think that helps much.
Question
Nov 07 2017
09:48:09 AM
SuggieMom17 Joey 25 Posts
Thanks

I truly hope that it is just grooming behavior! I just figured that wasn't something they would be doing in the pouch for some reason. :)

I don't try to pick her up anymore really...i usually just kind of roll her gently around in my hand and pet with my fingers very gently to get her used to it but I will only do that for like ten or so minutes so she will not get ovrtwhelmed. If she is calmish I'll try wrapping her up in fleece and put her in my bra and yesterday she did reasonibly well there for a good hour so we are making progress. Also they ate VERY well last nite!
Question
Nov 07 2017
10:27:02 AM
BennyNace Glider Visit BennyNace's Photo Album 100 Posts
One of my gliders have very realistic dreams. She will twitch, and bark, and sometimes even jump. She wakes up when she jumps and sometimes her eyes are half open. They dream the same as we do I guess :D
Also with the popping sound, I think of it as purring. They seem to do it when they are most content or asleep. It's totally normal! I love when there are multiple poppers in my shirt. It's the cutest. :)

GliderGossip GliderGossip
Sugar Gliders